Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brick Blanks for Laser Engraving

1. Quote Originally Posted by Chris DeGerolamo View Post
    Anyone care to share a supplier for laser engravable bricks? I searched the forums and wasnt' able to find any information.

As always, thanks for the help.
    Laser Engravable Bricks come from LaserSketch.com

How about these bricks.

http://www.lasersketch.com/

Y'all do realize this post is 4 years old, right?
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Blog Entries
    Ahhhhhh. Scott......Some conversations are simply timeless, like fine wine!

Besides, the concept of patenting the burning of a brick or denim is counterintuitive enough that no one new to the forum would ever imagine it. I am still in awe of the concept.

I am currently waiting on the acceptance of my patent for exhaling, and my second patent for inhaling. I was gonna do both inhaling and exhaling as an entire process but figure if I do them separately I have the process bottled up with some flexibility built in on my part. They are patent pending so far and looks like smooth sailing!!! Once it goes through, Katy bar the door!!!! <grin>

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

I attempted to test the validity of your process which you are attempting to patent. I does not work! the pump must first be primed prior to exhaling. so your patent is incomplete and thus will be rejected.
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

I have had success engraving letters in bricks and then re-lasering with black powder coat fill.
    Live Oak Forge
    40W Epilog Mini 18
    Shopbot 32"x24"x6" PRT
    Shopbot 48"x48"x6" PRS
    Next Engine Scanner
    Artcam
    CorelDRAW X5
    Multiple and various other implements of destruction

How messy is it with your laser, Bill? Do you get a lot of debris? Any pics?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Belany View Post
    Someone has patent on lasering bricks and, IIRC denim. Can I get a patent on lasering wood? How about glass? Where do you draw the line? Way too many lawyers in the world.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin
    Jeff, Dave and the rest of you:

Is anyone here interested in a patented procedure for laser engraving lawyers?
    Sort of a modern scarlet letter only on their forehead for a start.
    Warning: they tend to squirm a bit when the head is put in the engraving field.
    OSHA specifications are followed: eyes covered with safety glasses, no anesthesia required,
    just play a recording of your state's ethics code, puts them out for hours.

Wasn't bad mess wise. Took forever to get a decent depth. I had to run it at 1% speed 100% power. Then I applied powdercoat twice at 100% speed and 10% power (I believe). Gave the test piece away before taking any pics. Will try to do another in the next few days and post.
    Live Oak Forge
    40W Epilog Mini 18
    Shopbot 32"x24"x6" PRT
    Shopbot 48"x48"x6" PRS
    Next Engine Scanner
    Artcam
    CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Good View Post
    How messy is it with your laser, Bill? Do you get a lot of debris? Any pics?
    At first I thought you were responding to Bruce's post, but still a valid question, how about it Bruce? I imagine the satisfaction outweighs the mess! :-)

Bill, at that speed could you possibly make a decent wage selling these bricks as a fund raiser? Seems like you'd have to sell them at a retail cost to recoup your laser time. I bought a few pavers from Laser Sketch to give it a try. I thought I might try to push a fund raiser towards my church. We moved into a new church this past weekend and have some plenty of acreage for some walking paths. Perfect for some engraved bricks. I see some fund raising possibilities for me (if it's worth it).

20140703_184535~2.jpg As promised, here's one I did with powder coat. This is one of those 1/2" thick (or so) fascia bricks. I'm using it for a larger project. Ran this one twice at 5% speed, 100% power, 600 dpi. Wound up having to apply the powder coat twice. No patent applied for yet
    Live Oak Forge
    40W Epilog Mini 18
    Shopbot 32"x24"x6" PRT
    Shopbot 48"x48"x6" PRS
    Next Engine Scanner
    Artcam
    CorelDRAW X5

Have you tried using coloured glass powder? My friend suggested I try it, I just need to get my hands on some.

Cheers
    Keith
    Universal Laser VLS6.60, Tantillus 3D printer, Electronic design
    edns Group, Mairangi Bay, Auckland, New Zealand

Powder coating powder is very fine, kind of like dust. Wonder if you mixed with water and applied as a paste? I recall it sets at about 400 degrees F. Harbor Freight used to stock in the stores.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    mixed with water and applied as a paste
    Maybe even DNA (Denatured Alcohol) if water didn't work.
    Would have to make sure fully dried/evaporated before lasering of course.
    ULS M-300 30W, CorelDraw X4