Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brick Blanks for Laser Engraving

Question Brick Blanks for Laser Engraving

Anyone care to share a supplier for laser engravable bricks? I searched the forums and wasnt' able to find any information.

As always, thanks for the help.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

I believe you will find that "engraving" bricks is a patented process, it has been discussed here many times. From what I've read they are pretty hard on it too. I am certianally not telling you what to do, or not to do. But I wouldnt advertise it. personally.

Epilog Fusion Fiber 30 watt
    Epilog 36 EXT 75 watt
    Epilog 36 EXT 60watt x 2
    Epilog 32Ex 60watt (new tube, putting out 72 watts)
    Epilog Summit 25watt x2
    IL-60 2 x 100 watts 60" x 120"
    Corel X6
    Adobe CS6 Master Edition
    "http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?id=128

I did see the patenting thread and disregarded the fact that you can patent that type of thing (like the denim...what a joke). Thanks for the heads up.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

Hi Chris
    You can get a Cermark tape from most suppliers that is used for bricks, you stick it down and laser.
    I've never used it or seen it being done so can't say how well it works.
    Good luck.

Laserbits sells it and has a fact sheet about it.
    Last edited by john passek; 11-04-2010 at 6:05 PM.
    2017 Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt, rotary attachment, vector grid.
    Corel X8
    Photograv 3.0

New Hermes Pantograph
    2-Corner cutters/notchers
    1- Combo Shear.
    Vision VE810HD Rotary
    Numerous support tools.

May be the process of engraving bricks is patented, but what about "paper weights," which might happen to be made of a stonish material about 6"x3"2"...., or uncut pavers?

There are ways around the patent process's description. If you find it (public record) and post it, we can figure out a legal way around the patent, which you can double check with your attorney of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Fiore View Post
    May be the process of engraving bricks is patented, but what about "paper weights," which might happen to be made of a stonish material about 6"x3"2"...., or uncut pavers?

There are ways around the patent process's description. If you find it (public record) and post it, we can figure out a legal way around the patent, which you can double check with your attorney of course.
    You can apply for an improvement on an existing patent (not sure
    on the process or cost)

I believe the main thing is they have to be a clay based paver.

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Back to the original question... I did a lot of research and testing a lot of materials for laserability, well before I knew it was patented to laser bricks, of course. I had varied success with clay bricks and not anything I'd try to make money doing, it took too long and the results weren't consistent. What I discovered after all that was that the bricks that are laserable are what I think are called "dry stack" or "dry" something. It has to do with the ingredients in the brick as well as the mixing process and maybe the firing process as well - I don't know for sure. What I do know is that if you look at the bricks done by the company that has the patent, it's much different than anything you'll be able to do with a laser, or at least one similar to mine. Maybe more power would do the trick, again, I don't know.

I gave up on lasered bricks a long time ago and, instead, use my laser to cut the stencil for sandblasting them. It's MUCH faster, more reliable and I can make way more per hour that way. Plus I can sandblast virtually anything, I'm not limited to what can fit in my laser. I have a 6' x 8' blast room I built in my garage and have a gas compressor that delivers almost 30 cfm - I can blast anything that gets in my way.

If you do find the right bricks that laser well, send me a pm, I'd like to be able to do one-offs with the laser but I'll never do more than 2 or 3 that way.

Gary

edit: here is something I just read on a site that offers lasered bricks, obviously a galvo laser and probably why my co2 wouldn't work on anything I found... "While engraving a message, the laser beam is moved across the brick’s surface by two computer-controlled mirrors and focused onto the brick with a 12″ diameter flat-field lens."
    Last edited by Gary Hair; 11-04-2010 at 7:01 PM. Reason: adden info about galvo

Do they have to be bricks?
    Terracotta tiles (just fired clay, no glaze) work really well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Chris,

To answer your question, you want to look for anything made of clay. Michael's terracotta tile is a good example. You're looking for a substrate that goes through the process of vitrification when you blast it.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I have a possible job where the client has bricks they want etched but here's the thing: they are from a historic building that is being renovated and I'm thinking that due to their age they will be significantly softer. I should be getting a sample brick for testing, but if that falls through, I wanted to have an alternative engravable brick to fall back on. The Cermark tape is an interesting idea, though I personally have had inconsistent results in the past. I am wondering if using the plaster of paris solution posted a while ago will allow the brick to get "hotter" and engrave better.

Dan- I remember you having some lengthy balanced equation for that...I can tell you [all] for sure that the plaster of paris did allow for "better" engraving on steel and aluminum. Any thoughts on applying this to a brick?

I'll post any results I have...

Thanks.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

Blog Entries
    Chris,

That old-time discussion was about marking stainless steel, and essentially making Chromium Sulfate via the Chromium content of the steel. Here's the equation again (I had a copy on my desk as I write my book):
    3(CaSO4) + Cr2O3 + heat + 12(H2O) --> 3(CaO) + Cr2(SO4)3 * 12(H2O)
    A proper clay brick has all you need for marking. A cement brick will need some extra "oomph".
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

A great place I have found is Lasersketch. They provide directions on how to engrave their clay brick also. Captain Jim is the best.

Don't bet on old bricks being softer than new ones. I have had to drill holes in bricks in very old buildings to hang signs and most of the old bricks are harder then Chinese Arithmetic.

About a year ago in a neighboring town they demolished an old high school. We had a group come in wanting us to personalize a few hundred for them to sell for a fund raiser. They wanted an old B/W picture from the 20's and a color from the 90's plus text. We sublimated metal for them to silicone to the bricks. I know it's not the same as an etched brick but may be an idea for you. It was cheaper and quicker than lasering them.

Someone has patent on lasering bricks and, IIRC denim. Can I get a patent on lasering wood? How about glass? Where do you draw the line? Way too many lawyers in the world.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin
    SawmillCreek.org
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    45W Epilog Helix
    Corel X4, Photoshop CS3
    Sherline 4400 lathe
    JET 1221 Lathe
    JET 1014 Lathe
    Craftman 36" VS lathe