Thread: Shakeresque entertainment piece

Shakeresque entertainment piece

I ran across this picture at CB Kearney fine woodworking. It was one of his projects and hopefully he wont mind me posting a pic but it is exactly what I would l ike my own piece to resemble. I love the simple but semi sophisticated look to it.
    My question concerns the main carcase construction. How would this thing go together? I think I can see a number of different ways but I was wondering if you guys had any ideas about the best ways to attach the sides, bottom, middle dividers etc. Should the bottom be a solid panel or rails with runners for the dividers?
    Thanks

Oh i guess i should say it is being built with solid wood(walnut).
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'd say do it like a sideboard/huntboard.

I like the proportions and look but wonder if it would sag under the wait of a TV and other A/V stuff?

Yeah thats my other concern. Whether I use rails or a solid panel for the bottom it seems it would need support pieces in the middle connecting with the ground for it it to hold any sort of weight. Ive got the Jessem dowel jig on the way so i might break it in on at least some aspects of the case. Maybe where the sides meet the legs instead of long stub tenons.

Chris, I appreciate your comment. Would you care to elaborate on the huntboard/sideboard. Im not perfectly familiar with the construction.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Joyce View Post
    Chris, I appreciate your comment. Would you care to elaborate on the huntboard/sideboard. Im not perfectly familiar with the construction.
    I'm no expert, but I know some of the theory. There are a few different ways of doing it. The traditional methods build it basically like a chest of drawers with legs, or a table with drawers.

Will Neptune wrote an article for FWW called "Sideboard Strategies" that discussed a method that I thought sounded interesting--basically the carcase was a box, then the legs were attached afterwards. Outside corners are dovetailed, and where a board meets another in the middle multiple through tenons are used.

Oh man that article is perfect. I was looking for something along those lines but just couldnt seem to find it. Thanks a bunch for the steer.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by C Scott McDonald View Post
    I like the proportions and look but wonder if it would sag under the wait of a TV and other A/V stuff?
    That was my exact thought when I first saw it. I love the clean lines and the Shaker look. But throw a 42" plasm and a surround sound system on there and it might start to look like Granny's sway-backed plow horse.

Lol Brian interesting reference. And indeed it would seem like that would be the tendency. However I think I am going to shorten the length so the span would not be as great as the one pictured to begin with. Also after reading the article Chris pointed out, it seems that the dividers if properly anchored to the top and bottom (either by a deep dado or through stub tenons) would act almost like a torsion box. So Im hoping that will keep things ridgid and true.

Worst comes to worst I can always stick a big support under the bottom panel
    to go along with the delicate look

Hey Guys,

I'm here to report that this cabinet has not sagged under the weight of the stereo equipment inside it. The TV was mounted to the wall above it, but the rest on this client's a/v gear is located in the center portion of the cabinet and grandma's mule she ain't.

The cabinet was built using Will Neptune's hunt board design that I learned at NBSS when I was there. The vertical dividers are held in place with wedged through tenons, which I think helps.

I did convince the client to go with a solid plywood back with also added greatly to cabinet staying square.

Sincerely,
    Chris