Thread: Fretwork kit

Fretwork kit

I picked up this sweet little set on the eb-a. Even if it is only a "hobby set" it's awesome. The two red items clipped into the top are a ruler and the other a holder for the fret blades. The archemdies drill has all the little bits in the compartment. It has the original instructions (in German of course), along with all the little common designs. I'm pretty stoked about it. Even I don't use it it will make for a great craft set for my kids when they're older.

I even got a brass groove/purfling cutter thrown in...I would've paid the $20 just for that.

Any tips on fitting the razor saw blade into a backsaw spine? Make my own? Buy one?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by john brenton; 11-05-2010 at 2:05 PM.

The little grooving tool is a violin maker's purfling tool. It is used for cutting the parallel grooves around the edges of violins. These are deepened,routed out,and the black white black purfling is inlaid.

Yeah, I didn't see it when I purchased the set, and like I said, I would have paid $20 just for that tool alone. I have a few strings of purfling (the fiber kind..meah) that I bought for instruments, but have since use it in furniture designs. I have always cut them out with a knife but had wanted a groover like this one. A lot of the little furniture pieces I make have little details inspired by musical instruments, whether it be violin purfling, F-holes, rosettes, pick guards, dowels that protrude that look like friction pegs, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    The little grooving tool is a violin maker's purfling tool. It is used for cutting the parallel grooves around the edges of violins. These are deepened,routed out,and the black white black purfling is inlaid.
    Last edited by john brenton; 11-05-2010 at 2:49 PM.