Thread: Coule of interesting planes

Coule of interesting planes

I recently got these and thought I'd share some photos. The first is a Chapin 112 1/2. I'd never seen a coffin smoother with a handle before. Plus, it (appears) to have the original iron.

The other is a German plane (I believe its called a buckhorn) and that's about all I know about it. Also appears to have the original iron. has a really interesting logo. If anyone can tell me more about this brand or style, I'd appreciate the education.

That's it. Thanks for looking!!

Those are really cool. I love old planes. To me, they are like fine art.
    If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!

Dave,

from the shape of the body I think it is a Goldenberg plane. Goldenberg was in Alsace/France, which belonged to Germany between 1871 and 1918. He made planes in this style for export, mimicking the Austrian style with the rounded body, the round base of the horn and the recess in the wedge.

The iron was made by a company named F. W. Fromholz in Remscheid/Germany. "GESCHMIEDET" means "forged". Here's an ad by Fromholz from 1942, which shows the dolphin and the year of foundation 1868:
    http://www.holzwerken.de/museum/hers...z_anzeige1.jpg

I'm not sure about Columbia. I've seen it on various tools made for export, like as in your plane with the dolphin or in this trademark on another German plane bought in the US:
    http://www.holzwerken.de/museum/hers...iner_braun.jpg

Wolfgang

Thanks Wolfgang!! That explains why I couldn't find any plane makers named Geschmiedet I'll start looking into the Goldenberg name.

I have an old coffin shaped gutter plane marked "Columbia" that has the same wedge design as the horn handled plane, and the wedge also sticks up unusually high like the one in your picture as well. Not that the design and size are so unusual that it means anything...it's just my two cents.

That Chapin is going to look sweet after you clean it up. A little sanding, a little scraping (I leave the throat and bed alone as there is probably a bunch of black buildup from the iron that you'll never get out) a blo treatment (especially soaking in those cracks) and a coat of wax (except on friction parts) and I bet it'll look like new, with all of that beautiful beechwood pattern shining. I'm sure somebody will tell me that this product is the worst possible thing you can use, but I prefer Howard's feed and wax to the standard paste wax.

I was doing a lot of planes for a while and I took some of my crummy chisels and turn the edges, making them scrapers just for getting into the tight areas...works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Parkis View Post
    Thanks Wolfgang!! That explains why I couldn't find any plane makers named Geschmiedet I'll start looking into the Goldenberg name.
    Last edited by john brenton; 11-05-2010 at 2:48 PM.