Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 16" jointer for $375

16" jointer for $375

I can get 16" jointer ,2 hp ,4 knife cutter head,3 phase belt drive for $375.Its on mobile base.There is no name on it ,its from 1920s.Works good,should I get it?
    I need to get phase converter for sliding saw anyway.
    Jaromir

Yes. Run. Now!

All depends on what the cutter head is. If its has a square cutter head body stay away or plan on upgrading to a 3 bladed round cutterhead. Also what are the bearings for the head, babbet(cast in place) or ball bearing/pillowblock. Do some searching on OWWM.com for additional info and potential to find the manufacturer based on their machine library.

Of course you should get it...IF...you can devote that much footprint to a huge jointer. They are HUGE to move too. Be Prepared to do whatever it takes to load and unload it safely. And, don't hurt yourself either! lol!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Why are you asking????!!!!

It should be in your shop already!!!!!!!

+1 for what Logan said. I've purchased Babbit Bearing machines before and they can be restored nicely but if it's a square cutterhead I'd run the other way or consider how much it would be to have a round cutterhead installed. Could be if you have to swap out cutterheads you may have more money into the machine than it would have been to buy a machine that was already equipped that way.
    Another thing to consider is the guard. Is there one and is it still in place and in good working order? What condition is the table in and is it pretty banged up at the throat?

+1 on what Ted and Logan said. Guard and cutterhead/bearings are big issues to consider. There are steller deals to be had on big jointers if you look and no need to tie yourself to a money pit even at that price.

I bough it today.Its 3 knife round cutter head,with guard.Bearings looks like new.Motor is GE 2 Hp 3 Ph.
    Anybody know what brand is it?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jaromir

Nice Find...

It will be awesome when you get it all restored. Show us some pics when it is finished.

Looks a lot like a 12" sidney I recently got. Like mine, looks like the original cutterhead was replaced with a newer head in pillow blocks

Rich

Sweet! Why not forgo the converter and see if you can't get a 3-5 hp single phse motor for it on Craigslist? 2HP 3phase on a converter will only yield 1.3hp off of a converter which I doubt is sufficient for this beauty

Nice find! Looks like its been retrofitted at some time with the pillowblock style bearings, assuming they did a reasonable job of keeping the two sides parallel and in the same vertical plane it should work great.

Since you said you need a converter for your slider anyway I'd say buy/make a rotary phase converter then keep the jointer 3 phase. If you didn't need 3 phase for another piece of equipment I'd probably agree with Jonathan and say get a 3 hp single phase motor and keep the one on it for whenever you got 3 phase. I'd love to see pics once its cleaned up!

Nice looking machine. If the motor is 2 HP, 240 volt three phase you can get a VFD from Factorymation for around $200 and run it off a 220 volt single phase circuit.

You should take your pictures over to OWWM.org; someone there will probably have one just like it.

If I would like replace motor with single phase,what to look for?Motor RPM?Size?Are all motors same?
    Jaromir

Wow - is that a zerk fitting on the bearing?