Thread: Plane Tune up victory!

Plane Tune up victory!

For you long time neanders this may not seem like a big deal, but some times you figure something out by trial and error and you are just like I gotta share this.

Well I have a #4, #5 , #6, and #7. After several sharpening cycles I got to thinking about how I can sharpen and set these (as a set) to maximize my pleasure and efficiency, so here is what I did. The #4 and #7 are set with little camber and a light cut, where as the #5, and #6 are set with more camber for a aggressive cut (not quite a scrub, thats coming for Christmas). With this set up and my new home made mahogany winding sticks I can flatten wide boards in short order.

I love learning to use my tools
    Last edited by James Phillips; 11-07-2010 at 4:13 PM.
    America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    C. S. Lewis

Blog Entries
    It is amazing what you can do when you get the planes set up to suit you. My #3, #4, and #7 set up with just a bit of camber like you, one of my #5's with a lot of camber, the other with a moderate amount of camber. I have #6c on the way, won it last night on the bay for $20. It's a Fulton not a Stanley, but should make a good user. Now I want to get a low angle jack for use as a dedicated shooting plane. A scrub plane will make its way into the set eventually as well, but most likely after some for of rabbit and plow.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Awsome sounds like you have got a system down. thats half the battle the other half is just the work itself. Once you get your scrub you will be able to work that in with no problems.

My #6 has a fairly heavy camber. About 1/16" across the width. My #5 is set to take a slightly heavier cut than that. I have found that the #6 takes care of almost all my initial work in rather short order. I only bring out the #5 for those pieces with bad cupping or twist.

I have a #40 but almost never use it for preparing lumber. Mostly use it for hogging off an edge or,when I was a carpenter,backing out mouldings.

The more you get into it you may experience similar results and can take the cash saved from a scrub plane purchase and buy some wood.

J.P.