Thread: Need Help with Lacquer

Need Help with Lacquer

I have been away from the finishing side for many years and come back to find that almost all of the finishes that i am use to using do not exist any more> I guess that the "Green" movement has taken them away. What I have to finish is all interior wood products -6 panel doors, file cabinets, dressers and cabinets. all in new construction.

I am looking at the SW KEM Aqua products for the sanding sealer and lacquer at the moment. Any feedback on other products that would yield a similar finish durability and appearance of the lacquer of the old days? Any negatives on the SW Product?

BTW this is a hobby and want to keep it that way- not in this for disaster though. One other important thing is I need a low oder product since i do not have a dedicated spray booth and use my garage shop. I will be using a HVLP Gravity spray gun to apply, since that is all I have used for 15 years.

Any advise would be great, I have a garage full of stained items ready and willing to accept so I can start a new bunch of projects.

Thanks

I'd say Deft but its pretty stinky. If you can spray outside it'd be OK though. But I'm waiting to see what others post on the SW water born stuff.

I don't know anything about the SW product. When I have to use a sealer, I prefer Universal Seal Coat. It's dewaxed shellac. Works great and the price is good.

Matt, I have had great success with sherwin williams chem-aqua, I have used target em6000 also, but I prefer the chem-aqua as it was easier to use for me. It is low odor, the odor that is there does not linger, especially like nitro based laquers. Cleanup is super easy, soap and water. I have never had to thin the product either, sprays easily right out of the can with my hvlp. The only drawback I see with the chem-aqua is it only comes in 5 gallon quanities. My first 5 gallons they were kind enough to "demo" to me....so it cost me nothing!!! I usually go with 3 coats, waiting 30 minutes between coats to sand.

I have heard only good about chem aqua but no personal experience. If it half as good as EM6000 you will be very happy. Word is that it is on par with the Target offering in all respects.

I doubt you will need a sanding sealer, especially in a non-production setting. The first coat will do what you need. Personally I use a first coat of dewax shellac to lock in anything I used for color and less grain raise.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

well,
    after screwing up and putting lacquer sanding sealer on, and then preping for lacquer to find the lacquer was bad - went to woodwerks and they lined me up with a schellac bond breaker and put that on last night. Tonight on the General Finishes High Performance poly through the HVLP. By saturday afternoon hopefully the doors and cabinets will be in their resting places.

I would love to use the SW Kem Aqua, but as Jeff stated it is only avalable in the 5 gallon package for a decent price but it is a bit more than I had in the budget this time.

I do like the dewaxed shellac - nice and quick to put on and seals pores and dries nice on red oak. another trick learned

thanks all

Matt