Thread: Need some help and maybe a gloat in a couple weeks

Need some help and maybe a gloat in a couple weeks

I stopped by to see one of the tree cutters that I know and presented him with a Cherry bowl I made for him as a thank you for some Cherry he gave me a while back (sorry no pics of the bowl. I forgot to take them before giving it to him). While there, I asked him if he had any Black Walnut logs that I could get a hunk or two of. His response was "How big of a hunk do you want? 10 feet?" I said, "I don't want to spend a lot of money, just a couple of small pieces will do" He showed me what he had laying around and then told me he was cutting down a Black Walnut later this week that was about 25 inches in diameter and he would set a 10 foot section out for me and then he would cut it to whatever length's I wanted. Then he said "Would you want any burls?" I said, I'd love some! He said he didn't have any at the moment but he would start setting them aside for me. All free of any charge! Then he said... "You know, you can come up here anytime and grab whatever you want, just bring your own chainsaw. I don't let anyone use my saws". My mouth just about hit the ground!!! He has logs of all the Northeastern native trees laying at his place. I could go nuts there!

So my question is this..When I get some burls, and begin preparing them to make something on the lathe, is there anything I have to be careful of? Specific way to cut it to size, etc.? I know the grain goes every which way so the orientation shouldn't matter all that much other than to get the most pleasing look but I've never done anything with a burl so any help you may have would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Rob

You SOOO suck... up all the good wood!!!

Sorry I can't help with how to cut the wood. I've only ever used pre-cut blocks of wood.

Good luck!!

Rob, if you share the walnut and some burls with me, I'll show ya and help you cut the burls and logs. And swap you for some of the stock I have. (Red cedar, locust, maple, red oak, white oak, cherry)
    Just inspect the burls carefully all around. Image what the external blemishes might be doing inside of the burl... look for possible insect holes and whatnot. Then imagine you could see the inside of the burl. Then, cut it according to how you feel it is organized and how you think you want to use it. Sometimes it will turn out well.
    For what it's worth, that is how I usually do it.
    "Have saw.... will travel"

I have cut up only a few burls, there are may be some tricks to it; but each burl is unique. Trying to figure out the best cutting strategy is difficult. My advice is to study the burl for a while and make some guesses about the inside. Eventually you have to cut into the burl and find out what you have. If you guessed wrong, you will need a new plan but will likely still have some great wood.