Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Back in the shop after nearly five years

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    I am glad that you are better now and I will ask you to explain O2 in more detail, do the nurse drew blood for this test or place a device over your finger-tip for the reading ?
    Hello Ray. The 86 was measured with a finger tip scanner. The morning of the trach surgery my dad and wife had to each grab an arm because I did not have the strength to walk. Within a few weeks of that surgery my O2 was back to 95.

Thank you all for your encouraging words. I don't really feel like an inspiration, but I do feel much better.

Well I had some allergy issues and was not able to finish last week, however Saturday I was able to complete the wagon and blocks. I wanted to share some pictures. Here is the wagon before finish was applied.

Next is the completed wagon with finish applied, pull string attached, and finish to most of the blocks.

I am very happy with the final result, and hope that my nephew agrees.

The wagon ended up being bigger than the first (norm copy) I made ten years ago, and the blocks are smaller, but I like this much better. There are forty blocks, with 80 letters. I started with the scrabble distribution, and scaled back from there. This will allow a lot of spelling combinations.

I guess it could be called old fashioned twitter!

Here is a closeup of the mesquite wheels.

Sorry it is a little blurry. I am really happy with the mahogany and mesquite combination. The pictures do not do either one justice. The mahogany is so pretty it makes me want to cry. Well, if I did that sort of thing.

I have never worked with mahogany or mesquite before. I think that mahogany was not the best choice for learning dovetails, but it did help me learn some lessons that I already knew. Sharp chisels, sharp chisels, and finally, sharp chisels. I am actually getting pretty proficient at sharpening, and stopped twice to rehone the edges. Each time this helped tremendously.

I totally cheated on the pull handle. It was purchased at hobby lobby. I did consider chucking some wood in the drill press and trying my hand at turning, but common sense, time and laziness won. I may make one later and send it to my sister-in-law and have her replace it.

Thank you all for your encouraging words. The future looks bright if I can pull this off with the workshop in the condition it is in. Hopefully the winter and spring will allow me more time to get the garage/shop whipped into shape.

BTW, I can't believe that no one said anything about my marking knife. DW was not at all happy when she saw it, but she didn't say anything, just gave me that look, a combination of this and this . Worked great though!

Paul,
    I believe Chicago Cutlery has been making that marking knife for years, to be honed before use, of course.
    Very nice project BTW. I see you found some mesquite.