Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sale on Sjoberg Workbench

Tell you guys what.... Since I am sitting about 1/2 mile away from Wood Workers Source I will take a run down there and take a look at the work bench. (For once I happen to be close to a deal, of course its not a fallen quilted maple tree but still )
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

Michael, that sounds like a good plan, but remember the bench is 174.99 at Amazon, I think the special price at WWS is $299. Just repeating this in case you missed the thread change, I would hate for all of us to owe you $125

Ok here is the deal... The bench if you are in Phoenix is $249, the $299 is if you are having it shipped via UPS and claimed retail is 549. The majority of the top is 1 inch and 2 7/8" aprons around the perimiter, so that it appears to be thicker than it really is. The bench dogs are metal with a plastic coating and little spring loaded ball bearings so the dogs do not slip out. The legs are about 3/4" beech and one leg has mortices for a door jack (I think that is what it's called) at different heights. The legs are attached with what looks like M&T and screwed in like what you would use for attaching bed rails.

The vices have 2 holes for bench dogs and there are 2 posts and a center screw. Mostly made of wood and just a little metal. The bench did not rack as much as I tried but I was able to move it around, and that was the larger one. Let me know if you have any other questions
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

Amazon didn't come through with the goods

I don't know if anyone else ordered the bench through Amazon but I got an email today indicating that they cannot supply and are thus canceling my order.

OT: reminds me of an old story about a guy that went into the hardware store to buy a hammer - clerk said it would be $20 - guy said the shop down the street has them for $5 - so the clerk says go down there to buy it - guy says they're out - clerk says when we're out, we've sell 'em for $4.

Mitchell

Same Deal

I am very dissapointed that this happened and sent an e-mail to Amazon with the problem that I have with them advertising something as in stock or at least orderable(is that a word) when in fact it is not. At my company we call that a very big problem with supply chain management.

I suggest that everyone that had this happen send them an e-mail as well.
    Matthew Poeller

Yup, I had this happen to me as well yesterday.

So there goes the $100 off my Performax 22-44 purchase too. Good thing I didn't buy it already, as the WMH plan allows you to buy the next item before mailing in the coupon from the 1st purchase. I kinda had a feeling that it may not work out, being Amazon and all.

Thing is that this wasn't a typical pricing mistake. It's in the printed, mailed January tool catalog priced at $199. I'm not sure what they did wrong to get into this problem.

Well... that's Amazon for you. They don't sell/service with loyalty in mind. They work on lowest price as the motivating factor. You dance with the devil when you deal with Amazon. Keep that in mind and it doesn't hurt as much after the 4th or 5th burn. :-)

Don't get me wrong. I find the practice unacceptable to. It's the freakin' internet... meaning Inter-networked... so they should know how many widgets they have to sell and how many they can get.

I guess that Amazon has blown the late 80's-90's concept of "just-in-time inventory control" into to the next stratosphere.

They have shown that their new concept is to sell an item to the customer before they buy it from a given supplier. Results in practically a zero overhead business model... at least for those items sold in that fashion.

Guess you can try to pull that off with a internet based business.

/Kevin
    Last edited by Kevin Murdock; 01-20-2005 at 11:03 AM.

i wasnt too thrilled when i ordered three items on one order and was charged shipping from each vendor. if i place one order on a website i should only be charged for shipping once. I later ordered a dust collector and got good service and a good price. but i wont place an order again from multiple vendors. i am going to try and get most of what i need from the local woodcraft anyway.