Thread: Ready to buy a Thompson bowl Gouge

Ready to buy a Thompson bowl Gouge

I'm ready to buy a Thompson bowl gouge but I'm not sure if I should get a 1/2" or 5/8" V shape. The bowls I make will never be larger than 11" in diameter and 3" deep and right now I've been using a 1/2" Benjamin's Best gouge. If you were in my shoes, which would you buy? Thanks.

1/2" and or 3/8"

I have started using a 5/8 bowl gouge and am starting to like it pretty well. Previously I was a big scraper fan.
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

I would suggest the 1/2" V a great gouge particularly on that size bowl. Big enough to hog a lot of material but small enough to do finer work.

Alan

I started with the 3/8" thompson and the 1/2" BB when I was only using the Delta. Moved up to the 1/2" Thompson on the Delta, and the 5/8" on the Jet. I think the 1/2" Thompson will be most versatile for you with bowls that size. I do use the 5/8" a lot, but it's on pieces 10-15", and for some of the finer cuts I go right back to the 1/2 (and even the 3/8). There are some things you just can't do with the 5/8", because it's too big.

1/2" V for me! I have three graduated smaller bowl gouges (P&N) that I bought off CL - they come in very handy, but I have not found any need for a larger one. Of course, my swing is 12.5", too.

If you can afford it - buy the 3/8" as well, and I would probably get than one in U shape just to have a different grind.

1/2" V for me.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Call him and ask. He usually answers the phone on the second ring
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

1/2" - he's sold out on the 3/8" right now - both the regular V and the Jimmy Clewes V, which is a little sharper V than the regular V. Bigger is needed if you are doing longer reach over the tool rest like in vases, smaller for tight areas.

You can go bigger or smaller later as you find that you need it.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

When I called him, I was set on a 5/8" U, but he convinced me to get the V. Now, I just need to turn a handle for it.

I, too, have the 1/2" BB. The handle it comes with was WAY too short. I removed the original handle and (with the help of fellow Creeker--thanks Tony) I turned another handle for it.
    I drink, therefore I am.