Thread: " Helical Spiral Cutterhead for Woodworking Jointers

" Helical Spiral Cutterhead for Woodworking Jointers

Found this on Ebay for $349 + $30 shipping from WoodPRO out of Independence, Oregon. What do you think?

Here is what they claim:

This 8” spiral cutterhead replaces your standard straight knife cutterhead on many brand jointers including Grizzly, Sunhill, Pioneer, JET, Oliver, Wilke and many others. Each cutterhead has four spirals with indexable, four-sided carbide inserts, so each insert can be rotated 4 times for a new sharp edge.

That sounds about right. I got my Byrd for my Delta DJ-20 8" jointer Directly from Grizzly for around $330 plus shipping.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Blog Entries
    The price is in line with the better known providers. Are you asking about WoodPRO in particular?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have the 6" one from Grizzly (on a grizzly jointer)...the grizzly one works great...did alot of jointing this weekend of some figured cherry...came out very smooth...don't remember what I paid for it but I thought it was around $250 delivered.

Big +1

I have helical cutter heads in both my powermatic planer and jointer, rather economical when you consider that each cutter has four cutting surfaces - that's 4 complete change outs. With the right feed rate and depth of cut, very little sanding if any.

My mistake, I from time to time toy with the idead of switching one of my jointers or planers to a helical cutterhead. And the number that stuck in my head I thought was like $450 for my G0490. When I saw the $349.... I just wonderended if this might be a new source for woodworking equipment.

You guys are right on the price, it falls in line with the competition but not a proven source. Soooooo if I move forward on replacing the cutterhead I would go with a Grizzly with the positive feedback I have seen here on the forum.