Thread: Sublimation software...Do you really need it?

Talking Sublimation software...Do you really need it?

Hey there everyone.

We had our offices broken into a few weeks ago and they took our PC with our dongle on the back.

Ergosoft, said that I still would have to pay another $1500 to get another dongle...Can you believe that!

Anyhow, I already have photoshop to color correct my images and I have Corel 15 so I can tile my images...do I still need sublimation software?

Can any help me out with this? What do I miss out on this...
    Thank you

BK

Blog Entries

Sublimation

What is sublimation software? That in itself suggests that an increase in temperature just vaporized the info into the quantum world, the no mans land of quantum non-locality.
    David Woodruff

If you don't know where you're going, it doesn't matter how you get there.

Sublimation software? We print from Illustrator, Photoshop, and Corel using the driver and an ICC profile for the printer.

No need for anything other than the driver and profile, I wouldn't think.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

4. No special software needed for Sublimation

We currently use CorelDraw with print drivers provided on the sublimation ink company's website as well as our supplier's website.

We have also worked with three other sublimation shops --- none of them use any special software - they print directly from either CorelDraw or Illustrator.

I can't say I've ever heard of any sublimation software. I use CorelDraw.

Did you have insurance?
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Me neither..I do know this, $1500 bucks will buy a gem dandy bunch of software that would more than likely outshine this unknown product called sublimation software.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

I hear the Drag clicking on my Fly Rod....... A Slick Salesman and Software Company with a overly expensive Dongle.... (Sight Unseen Opinion)...

I use Corel for Sublimation and Laser.... Bought Smart Design years ago.... I use it about once a year.... for the Clip Art.... But Frank usually is quicker posting Clip Art than I can find it in the book...

Sorry you got broke into..... My fear too.... Use a PO Box on my Business Cards... Shop is zoned Low Impact.... No Showroom, No Visitors.... OK with me.

AL
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

I used ErgoSoft...but I've tried it out of Corel and things seem fine!

What is the best way to keep my colors consistent if I don't have a densitometer?

Do I have to worry about ICC profiles going bad? Also anyone know how to load a new ICC profile?

Thx everyone for the help

What inks are you using? If it's Sawgrass Ink, they have all the supporting files and documents available on their website and they are good about offering up tech support as well.

Not much to worry about once it's set, as most of the dye sub stuff is all on the same type substrate, so you don't have all the color variation problems you have with typical printing on paper media, at least in my opinion.

I also have no found a full blown icc profile for dye sub. Seems no one wants to work on one that is pantone friendly.
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

So I'm having some issues with Corel...its doesn't want to print my images...it picks and chooses randomly when it prints.

It almost looks like it dumps the file. I've reboot PC and Printer and still getting a basic dump...anythoughts?

I tired printing out of Illustrator and Indesign and it worked however I have a 4'x3' image that I need to tile into 6' square images...does anyone know how to do that in illustrator or indesign?
    thx

Here's a couple of tips :

http://www.design.iastate.edu/LABS/t...lltut0005.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_16657_divide-artwork-print.html

Google print tiling in illustrator for more.

It looks like this is a Rip designed for large format printer.

Do you use a large format printer?

The small format ones that I guess most of us use Ricoh, Epson etc
    don't typically require a Rip, although it may be more consistant
    and efficient. ICC profiles work well. I am very happy with the Ricoh
    GX7000 that I use. With a full set of inks it is under the $1500 dongle.

I tile in Corel, I may not be doing it the most efficient way but it works
    for my tile projects.

I make a full size layout, making each square slightly larger so it's easy
    to center a tile in. Then select all and combine the pieces. Next I size the image
    to the final size. After I do this I powerclip it into the tile out line.
    You can then separate the individual tiles. I put one up on each page then print.

I imagine this was all done for you in one step with the software you had.
    Rips do have many features such as nesting etc that are nice, but for us
    smaller shops it may be hard to justify the price.

Like others have said, if you have insurance (hopefully replacement cost)
    all your software should be covered. Most insurance companies that have
    replacement cost, if you prove you had it and that it was stolen they can
    arrange directly tho have the products shipped to you, no getting est. running around
    negotiating with them. You may ask them to replace everything that was
    stolen. I had to deal with this a while back and having the insurance company
    take care of it made my life so much easier!

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Knuckles View Post
    I used ErgoSoft...but I've tried it out of Corel and things seem fine!

What is the best way to keep my colors consistent if I don't have a densitometer?

Do I have to worry about ICC profiles going bad? Also anyone know how to load a new ICC profile?

Thx everyone for the help
    Color Management Software is out there, but it's very expensive. If you
    have a commercial photo lab near you you may be able to trade off some engraving
    for building ICC profiles for you. The basic ICC profiles that come with the
    setup are usually fine. One thing to remember though, they are based on the
    assumption that the substrate you are printing to is white. So they are sort of an average.
    If it is off white or gold or another color
    there will be differences in appearences. Also different brands may have different
    coatings so if fine tuned accuracy is what you are after you may
    want a custom ICC profile for each product.

I believe that Sawgrass will build ICC profiles for you. That may involve
    transfering a color chart to the substrate and send that to them, again
    the cost and the value is something you'll have to decide.

There may be issues with the file size, as Corel doesn't deal well with large
    file sizes. I think the Rip deals with it as opposed to Corel doing it all.

Hope this helps.

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Dongle issues

Cadlink requires a USB dongle with their software and they will simply sell you a dongle for a minimal price if you can provide a police report that it was actually stolen. Check to see if your company may have that policy, also.