Thread: Questions about windowsplashes on Tyvek paper

Questions about windowsplashes on Tyvek paper

Hello,
    I am new to the forum today and have some questions for those who would like to help me out. I worked at a sign shop for 18 years where we did mostly highway signs, road construction related sign work, some screen printing , very little commercial sign work and even less hand painted signs. I started doing windowsplashes on my own where I use oil based paints exclusively, except of course for a white latex background. Only recently have I heard about doing windowsplashes on Tyvek paper, cutting the panels to fit inside of each window and attach with double sided adhesive strips. I heard this works very well but I have had no experience with it as of yet. I also found out that only water based paints like acrylics will work on the Tyvek paper as oil based paints will pucker the material. I have almost no experience with acrylics but went out and bought some 2 oz. bottles, up to 16 oz. bottles to begin my new application for doing windowsplashes. Someone suggested using 1" foam brushes and just toss them away when you are done. I am use to using grey squirrel quills and blended hair lettering flats and know I can't use them with the acrylics as they are soaking in motor oil when not in use. I was going to build a simple 8'X4' plywood table to start with and attach it to the wall vertically and use those little spring loaded clamps to hold up the Tyvek. I recently purchased a 48"X150' roll of Tyvek from Uline and am about to build my work station. Do any of you think doing my painting vertically is a good idea or is their a better method? I am use to doing painting vertically on glass but have no experience with acrylics as of yet. I would appreciate any advice any of you might have and how best to utilize the acrylic paint and set up a small work station. Any advice would be appre3ciated. Thanks for your time. Rick. http://www.rickswindowsplash.com

I can't begin to remember how many rolls of that stuff I have used up in the last 18 years. I used tyvek as the cheapest substrate for vinyl lettering, and sold many a banner including some 8' tall with two 4 footers taped together.
    Good strong stuff. I also have used it as you are for windows but again with vinyl lettering. One warning, don't use masking tape on it to hold it down, the stuff shreds with fine fibers showing when you pull the tape off. Sometimes even transfer tape did that.

It used to be available in a special formulation for signage with a coating that accepted paint better. You are right about oil based, but even acrylic may create some problems for you, being water resistant. Did you try the paint on a small sample of it first? You may end up having to treat it with something like One-Shot Clear (waterborne) topcoat/primer or Frog Juice.

As for work table, I had one that I built 5' x 12' that worked great with space to work on all sides. Here now I have one that's 4'x8' and until I stopped doing vinyl work had a "paper-towel-holder-like" device at one end
    for the 4' roll, the rolled up the other end on a tube as I went. Of course vinyl lettering doesn't have to dry and you probably won't have too many that long. It's hard to get used to painting upside down

I haven't used acrylics with brush in many years, and that was on paper
    posters and banners. I'd suggest a good art supply with knowledgeable staff to help choose the best brushes.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green