Thread: 3 in 1 Crib Finished

3 in 1 Crib Finished

Hello Everyone. I just wanted to say thank you for all those who helped give advice on finishing. I recently completed my daughters 3 in 1 bed in white oak finished with several coats of red mahogany danish oil. This is my FIRST real project. It wasn't easy to cut my teeth on and it took me a while with a few mess ups here and there, but its finally finished. I am proud of it.

P1020595b.jpg

P1020593b.jpg

P1020592b.jpg

P1020591b.jpg

P1020590b.jpg

Really nice, Jeremy. You should be proud. Any woodworker would be. As for the mess-ups, most of us have those....just don't point them out to others and no one will know.

A fitting home for your princess Jeremy.
    I can imagine you will be grinning from ear to ear when you see her in it.
    A proud accomplishment to say the least.

This is absolutely beautiful, well done Jeremy. I'm always excited to see cribs, especially as a first project. That's how I started in woodworking too. That new baby on the way gave me the courage to try, and I've been going ever since.

You should be proud of your daughter's crib. It will be treasured for a long, long time.

Jeremy, you did a great job. Congrats on the “first real project.” It turned out great. I built the same crib last year (hard maple). It too was my first “real” project. I modified the plans a bit ‘cause my wife wanted “slats” on the ends and I wanted to try my hand at M&T. And yes, you should be proud. Is it in use yet? If not, just wait till you see her in it. You think you’re proud now…

-D

She is using the bed now. It made my heart smile to see her in it. When I thought about it after I walked away I smiled yet again knowing that she wasn't sleeping in a made in C***a piece of garbage.

I decided she needs the matching dresser, so with some left over white oak and the bent lamination shape still, I will buy the plans for the matching dresser. Looks alot easier....

Thank you all for the kind comments. They make me smile.

Great job Jeremy. Furniture for the family is a real joy.

Did you use plans from Wood magazine for this crib?

Thank you for the kind words.

I did indeed use the plans from Wood Magazine for this crib. I spent a few months looking at crib plans and quite honestly, liked the intricacies of this desidn alot more than all of the other free and not so free plans. The rest seemed too simple. It was my first real project so I was putting alot of faith in my undeveloped abilities by picking this design over some of the more simpler ones, but in the end I am very happy with how it turned out. If I was do build it again, I would do many things differently, but I am still quite proud and so i my wife.

Not knowing what to expect from me (since this was my first project), she was a bit skeptical when I showed her the plans for the matching dresser, but after seeing the crib she gave me the ok to start! So as of today I have the 3 sets of heavy duty drawer slides on order.

Jeremy - You just validated one of my very favorite quotes from Henry Ford: "Those who believe they can do something and those who believe they can't, are both right."

The reason I asked about the plan is that I may have a grandchild to build one for sometime.

I'm sure the dresser will also turn out great.

Here is the linky to the bed from Wood Mag.

Here is the linky to the matching dresser.

The plans have the source of all the hardware (including the bed spring) needed for the 3 beds.

What a wonderful job on this project. I am in the process of making this crib as well. I am not using plywood just solid wood panels. I would like to bead the joints on the panels. I am needing some bit advice please. I want to edge one peace of each joint to hide the joint. I have a hand plane, #45 Combination plane that does it but I am not good enough with it so I want to buy a bit for my power router and need some advice on size and procedure. I am thinking of a bead bid with pilot bearing on top to make the cut on just one edge and fit the other board up against it to complete the joint. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Rick Young WY

Nicely done. I am equally impressed by your ability to complete such a task while taking care of little ones! I haven't managed to figure out how to balance that yet...