Thread: Dust Collector Question

Dust Collector Question

My good wife gave me some $ to purchase a dust collector. I am on a budget so price is a big consideration. I am looking at either the Delta 50-850 (1-1/2 hp 1200 cfm) from Amazon.com ($279 including shipping - 3 micron bag) or the 2-hp one from Harbor Frieght tools ($150 - 30 micron bag, 1600 cfm). Most like I would be putting it outside under a covered portion of the house. Looking for any recommendations.
    Arvin Brown

Go with the Delta if it's not to much money. My experience with the Harbor Freight has not been good and Delta has a reputation to uphold.

And it's all about microns, the fewer the better. Give your lungs a break and go with the Delta.

Lightbulb Hf

The HF unit gets great reviews on other forums.
    I personally know 4 woodworkers that use the unit.
    The only upgrade they do is add a 1 micron bag to the top.
    This is usually $30-$50.
    The unit can be had for about $150. Add $50 for a 1 micron bag and you still come out ahead of the Delta in price.

BTW, the Delta only has a 3 micron bag.
    Gary
    Bluegrass - Finger Pickin Good!

Delta 50-850

Wish you were near me. I am selling a Delta 50-850.

Arvin,
    Since you are in Atlanta (what part anyway?) you may want to go visit our frineds at W. J. Redmond (they're off of Fulton Industrial Pkwy.). They have the Delta you are looking for in a "Factory Reconditioned" special: http://www.redmond-machinery.com/delta_50-850.htm. This is a good deal since it's priced at $229. Not bad - with tax, it's still cheaper than Amazon, unless they've got a $25 off special. Also, you may want to check out Highland Hardware. They've got the 1.5 hp Shop Fox DC, for $219 (I paid $199 for it there late last year) -http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com...OD&ProdID=5496. It's a good machine, and gets you ample static pressure to have a 30 ft. run. They've also got good prices on the felt bags, and have a good first stage separator.

Take advantage of these local stores - we're blessed to have them. I picked up a screamin' deal at Redmond on a factory reconditioned Delta Bandsaw (American made model) and also bought my Beismeyer fence from them (commercial 30" model for $220).

Let me know where you're located.

Maurice

I have been very happy with my HFDC, but I have not had it that long. I did opt to spend the $20 for the two year warranty. It has great suction and is not very loud. I would look at wynn industries for a cartrige filter if you are going to upgrade the bag/filter.

Check out this one at A&I, i micron bags and free shipping.
    http://www.ai-supply.com/search/Show...I+W1685%2DBAGS

Larry

A Vote for Grizzly

Earlier this year after much research I went with the Grizzly 2hp 1029 model I believe. Got it on a special with the best quality micron bag. Very pleased with the unit and glad it came with the seperator. If you do a lot of planning, the seperator saves you a lot of time emptying and cleaning the bags.

I like it although recently one of the remote transmitters went out. I called them and was a little ticked at the customer service. Thye had me ship back both transmitters and the receiver so they could check it out. They said if it were just a battery or dirt in the unit they would charge for the repair and I would be billed for shipping. Kind of tacky I thought.As it turns out they send me a complete new unit and reimbursed me for my shipping cost.