Thread: Used Felder FB540 or New FB600 bandsaw?

Used Felder FB540 or New FB600 bandsaw?

Hi, I recently decided I wanted to upgrade from my Laguna LT16 3000 bandsaw (which I will be selling on here soon) to a used Felder FB540 bandsaw, which is in good shape and less than 2 years old, however, the guy will not budge from his $2400 asking price and I am getting sick of negotiating. Unfortunately, in the last week or two I have been becoming interested (Obsessed) with the Felder FB600, which can still be had for $2995 + shipping for a total of $3395? I am heavily considering the FB600 and am requesting input from others, especially those that have seen both machines or own an FB600. Is the Fb600 worth an extra $1000 investment? Thanks to all who may read this and contribute.

By the way, I am aware that the FB600 is slightly larger in all aspects. Also, I have a Hammer A3-31 j/p that I will NOT be upgrading any time soon, and I want a nice saw to complement it. Can I overbuy on a bandsaw?
    Last edited by Brian Cosgrove; 11-14-2010 at 7:45 PM. Reason: adding to original post
    Brian E. Cosgrove

Hello Brian.

I suppose you can over buy on a bandsaw, but a 600mm or 24" is not overbuying.
    I have a 24" SCM which is old.. its a great size for hobby woodworking.

I use a lot of rough lumber, and very little plywood. My cabinet saw rarely gets used. That size bandsaw allows you to rip all your lumber. Mine will cut safer and faster than my cabinet saw.

I believe that 24" is a mid sized bandsaw. If your a hobby guy, it will cut anything you ever need cut. It will probably be the last bandsaw you ever need to buy.

The beauty of that saw is that its a European machine. The $3000 price tag is an investment. It will hold its value. If the money is in place, order up a carbide tipped 1" blade and get the 24" . .
    Last edited by Rick Fisher; 11-14-2010 at 8:20 PM.

I had a look on the Felder Canada site.. That saw is $4,094.00 up here..
    The Canadian Dollar is about par.. within a couple of % ..

$2995.00 seems like a great deal up here.. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    Hello Brian.

I suppose you can over buy on a bandsaw, but a 600mm or 24" is not overbuying.
    I have a 24" SCM which is old.. its a great size for hobby woodworking.

I believe that 24" is a mid sized bandsaw. If your a hobby guy, it will cut anything you ever need cut. It will probably be the last bandsaw you ever need to buy.
    I agree, I have a 24 inch saw, and it is a great size. Plenty of space on the table, and good resaw capacity. For me, the massive resaws of some of todays saws is not that important. The wood stores I go to don't have too much 18" wide lumber in my price range.

Of all the tools in a woodshop, for me a bandsaw is one where it is better to live a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    I had a chuckle when I saw you say "24" is a mid sized.
    You think big sir!
    To many hobbies, that size in the very upper limits.
    (from somebody who is looking to upgrade to an 18" or so).

Between those two for the new/used prices you mention I would go for the bigger new one for the extra cash. I would investigate the table tilt on the saws as some (the FB600 included I think) as only tilting 20*, some have said this is not accurate and they do tilt 45*, this may not be an issue to you though.

Didn't see mention of it in the other thread, but the 540 should be a 3 phase machine. The 600 1P. And the 600 will give you about 2" more capacity in each direction.

Well..

If you look at a Felder 740 for example, (there was one in the showroom near me) .. the 24" saw seems kinda middle of the pack.. lol.

Laguna is a good example. The 24" is about mid sized.

Blog Entries
    The Agazzanni B-24 is a similar price and may be worth investigating as well.

The increase in cost would only be worthwhile if you need the additional resaw capacity. The FB600 is not going to produce a better or faster cut over the FB540. Both have large wheels which is ideal for carbide blades.