Thread: Wiring Book

Wiring Book

I have done my own wiring for a lot of years. However, I am always amazed at what I do not know when some of the contributers talk about code requirements involved with wiring a shop. Does anyone know of a good book that describes the proper way of wiring and some of the does and don't associated with wiring a shop?

Hate to say it, but Home Depot has some good books on this, I have one from them that was almost all I needed to wire my shop. I've got 4 or 5 wiring books, and I actually like the HD one best.
    Check your city ordnances and see what they've implemented for code, most cities use the NEC, or some international adaptation of the NEC, then publish an ammendment on what is different for that city. If yours is the NEC, then you can buy little red NEC cliff notes sorta from Barnes and Noble.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

I've got most of them, and I like the Black & Decker one the best. There are a couple of editions/versions. I think the latest version includes what used to be in the 'advanced' version.

They cover the NEC 2008 code, plus have sample wiring for every combination of switches, lights and outlets you can think of.

Roger

One of the HD wiring books was recalled for some errors that were unsafe but this was a while ago and the errors are probably fixed by now. I have a Time Life Book on wiring that helped me but I agree with Dave M. on the books at HD are well done. I don't have any of them but have looked through them in the store and was impressed.
    David B

Go to the local Barnes and Noble and look under home improvement. There is a book there that explains all of the different wiring and its very easy to follow. I don't know the name off hand but it was very complete.

The fact that you've done a lot of wiring over the years means you'll probably be beyond most of the content in the B&D-type Home Depot books. I have one, but find it really geared to the home owner - not the shop-builder; you won't find much info in there about 220v, 3-phase power, converting motors between 110 and 220v, etc. They spend a lot of time on how to wire lights and switches.

I think the Code Check books are concise and pretty good.

If yr really interested in the stuff, you might consider getting a copy of the NEC.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Jensen View Post
    I've got most of them, and I like the Black & Decker one the best. There are a couple of editions/versions. I think the latest version includes what used to be in the 'advanced' version.

They cover the NEC 2008 code, plus have sample wiring for every combination of switches, lights and outlets you can think of.

Roger
    +1. The Black and Decker Guide to Advanced Home Wiring is the one you want (it contains all the basics, 240V installs, multi-way switches, etc.). It does not cover 3-phase or industrial wiring.

This kind of an obvious answer but the NEC illustrated handbook is fairly decent. Obviously it is the code book but the photos and additional information in the handbook portion is very valuable. The handbook dumbs things down enough I can get specific questions answered.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I purchased the B&D Complete Guide to Home Wiring 4th Edition. It is a good book and also comes with a DVD which contains the entire book and also some videos of projects.

I also am going to look at the NEC 2008 book from the public library.

Quote Originally Posted by David G Baker View Post
    One of the HD wiring books was recalled for some errors that were unsafe but this was a while ago and the errors are probably fixed by now. I have a Time Life Book on wiring that helped me but I agree with Dave M. on the books at HD are well done. I don't have any of them but have looked through them in the store and was impressed.

The book that was recalled was by the Taunton Press , not HD, they may have sold it though.

The recalled book was "Wiring a House, Third Edition", by Rex Cauldwell.

Apparently I was the first person to ever return a book because of a recall at my local Barnes & Noble.