Thread: Question for the bandsaw pros...

Question for the bandsaw pros...

How do you wrap up a bandsaw blade so it fits back in the box?

It seems like a silly question but for the life of me I can't seem to coil my blade back up to store it in the box.

thanks, Doug

why not check youtube. Search for "fold bandsaw blade"

Basically, you just put part of the blade between your foot and the floor, holding the top in a gloved hand (preferred method ) and just twist it a couple of times. Will take a couple of practice tries, least it does for me...everytime...but it'll coil itself back up to a point and you just tuck it in.

Thanks! I never thought that someone would take the time to post something like that.

Honestly I thought it was a little "Monk" of me to want to put them back in the box. I guess I am not as crazy as I thoguht.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carpenter View Post
    I guess I am not as crazy as I thoguht.
    No, you were right the first time. (joke)

I use a two handed approach- hands at 10 and 2 oclock. Lift the blade up, with to bottom away from your feet, let the bottom hit the ground, moving strait down, and twist.

Something like that- once you do it once or twice it is easy.

Practice with a narrow blade. The first time I tried it was on a monster 3/4" wide blade and embedded the teeth in my leg when it sprang back.

Stand on the blade with one foot - pointy side away from your body. Twist the loop in a clockwise direction without letting the part under your foot slip, keep twisting until the blade twists into three rings. Collapse and store!
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

Blog Entries
    Start with some thick leather gloves. Grab with the left hand thumb up and the right hand thumb down (@ 10 & 2 o'clock). Twist right hand so thumb points up and then twist left hand so thumb points down. The blade should snap into place (in 3 loops).

Note: I don't like the foot method because it can dull the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Portland View Post
    Note: I don't like the foot method because it can dull the teeth.
    Good point, but I figured that really, if I dulled the points under my foot, it would be only 2-3% of the teeth. That is if I actually dulled them. I like having that 10' long band of sharp steel under a little more control than is allowed by the hand only method. Of course, I used to have one of those $50 Delta bench top saws (that wouldn't cut straight for anything) where the band was hardly big enough to get your foot through - in that case, yes, hand only was the way to go. Now that I have a saw with a 125" blade, I am more comfortable with a little more control. Maybe I will put a little piece of plywood on the floor to protect the teeth - best of both worlds!
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

I had a video up at one point showing how I do it. This guy's video is much clearer. This is exactly how I do it, except I wear gloves for the larger bands (3/4" and up). I suggest you wear gloves for all of them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btOSZ...eature=related

I just don't like stepping on them on my concrete floor, and I think this is easier on the larger bands, especially the unfolding part. I started doing this the first time I tried to unfold my 1" band with the chuck and duck method. I chucked and ducked, but it didn't unfold, so I had to find a more controlled way of doing it

goto love youtub, that is where I learned to fold up a blade, simpler to watch and learn than try to figure it out by reading how to

If you don't like putting the blade on the floor put a scrap of wood or carpet down first.

Ever fold one of those circular car windshield sun shades? If so it is the EXACT saw muscle movement.