Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scheppach Dust Extractor: HA1000 @ Sears

Blog Entries
    i was going to say, is that 115 cfm in a 4" hose good compared to a 2.5" hose at a higher cfm?

scheppach is a good company that makes lots of tools so i wouldnt think this would be bad?

ShopVacs: 135 - 185 CFM

http://www.shopvac.com/specifications/quiet_series.asp

Or ... 180 - 210 CFM, depending on their series

http://www.shopvac.com/specification...pro_series.asp

It's an air SPEED thing, with ShopVacs, as opposed to an air FLOW thing, with DCs.

A great deal of skepticism is needed when dealing with air moving machines. The vac industry is know for bogus numbers. I use a few vac motors in the shop for various functions. Cheapest source for me is garage sales. One can pick up a vac that's beat up a bit but still works fine. I rip it apart and salvage the motor. Picked a Hoover canister recently. These guys are so sophisticated that they are aware of the fact customers check the amp draw. So they stamp a bogus number on the handel of the vac. This was stamped 12Amps. When I got the motor out it was stamped 6 amps. I see this all the time. So for a DIY shop vac I run two of 6 amp motors in parallel. Now that gives me a lot of power and I have a total of $20 invested for the two motors. If I was going to buy an expensive shop vac type I would sure bring along an ammeter to check what the real amps are.

As a comp go to an industrial source like Grainger. Google the site and look up vacuum cleaner motors. They give numbers that are close to real I have found. You will see a relationship between amps CFM and $. There is no free lunch. No way will a 6 Amp Shop vac flow over a real 90 CFM. Probably closer to 70. Can't be done if you want high SP numbers. My test gear that I use on testing cyclones has number to high so I can't measure 100 CFM. The average cleaner runs from 6-12 amp input on 120V.

Blog Entries
    its a year later and i wanted to see if anybody has tried one of these out yet?

Here's a link to the vac's specs in the current Scheppach catalog. The second link is a Google search for reviews. You can try clicking on "translate this page" to see if any of the reviews give you any information.

http://www.scheppach.com/en/products...ash=e54fd2558a

http://www.google.com/search?q=schep...w=1264&bih=593
    Last edited by Bob Faris; 04-13-2012 at 11:52 AM.

Kevin, sorry I don't have one, but the 2500 Pa (~10"wg) pressure rating also seems low for shop-vac style unit. I could be wrong, but this looks like a shop-vac style unit with a larger hose and metal container. It may be fine for router table collection (fence/top only), bench top sanders, hand held sanders, maybe a benchtop jointer that has an integral blower. I use a Festool DE, and while not the same, it is analogous to a shop-vac in terms of flow and SP vs. comparing it to a dust collector. It works great for hand held sanders and I have a Rigid oscilating spindle/belt sander that is also works very well with. I used to have a 6" benchtop jointer that had an integral fan (Sears model) where a shop-vac did a decent job.

I think if you connect this to stationary tools such as a table saw, band saw, lunchbox or larger planer, jointer, you are going to find that it is not sufficient. These larger tools need a certain amount of flow (CFM). Then the duct size is determined to keep the velocity high enough so the dust doesn't settle out in the duct. The more CFM required, the larger the duct required if you are keeping your duct velocity to a minimum. Its not that shop-vacs are meant for FPM and DCs are meant for CFM, these two values are inter-related with duct size. The duct and particulate do not care what type of fan is connected at the end. Shop-vacs are good where they can provide enough flow to effectively capture the dust. They cannot provide enough CFM in larger stationary machinery with typical hood arrangements.

Not sure if this helped you make your decision.... As someone posted in another thread, its very handy to have a shop-vac and a DC. I've always had a shop-vac and moved my other tools around to work outside or in a well ventilated area until we moved and I had a basement shop. Not to feasible to wheel a cabinet saw outside everytime you want to use it. I found a used Jet DC-1100 with canister filter for $100 locally and it does a fair job on most of my stationary tools.

Mike
    Last edited by Michael W. Clark; 04-13-2012 at 12:52 PM.

Blog Entries

i dont need the specs, i just want to hear from people that own this machine and to tell me if they like it or not??

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I Love The Smell Of Sawdust In The Morning!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gregoire View Post

i dont need the specs, i just want to hear from people that own this machine and to tell me if they like it or not??
    Obviously not many owners out there (at least not on here that are posting.) Maybe re-label the thread or buy a shop-vac if you are concerned about it. I bought a shop-vac with better specs for $35 new from Lowes 6 years ago and it still runs like a top.

Mike

Kevin, Sears has a good return policy. Buy it and see what you think.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Bought the Scheppach

I bought one. The reviews on Sears and some other places were positive enough. I also don't have space for anything bigger.

The model I bought is the HD040 through Amazon. A few bucks more than Sears but with Prime shipping, it was a wash. It has the same specs as the HA1000 at Sears. It was easy to put together- just hose clamps.

Positives: It is Quiet. No annoying high pitched whine like my shop vac. I used a decibel app on my phone. The Scheppach is 85 db. My Shop Vac was 99db. The specs say it filters to .3 microns. Inside are two filters. The main filter is pleated like a shop vac, but over that is a felt bag. So far no major clogging. I will have to see long term. It comes with 4 replacement bags.

I used it first to plane some Douglas fir for a workbench project. I kept up pretty well. My shop vac couldn't keep up with the chips. The Scheppach handled about 90%. Next I ripped and crosscut some boards. I have a contractors saw with 4 inch port on bottom. Again it did fairly well. A little better than the shop vac, but still some dust flying.

Overall, I'm pleased. Yes for a little more you can get the Harbor Freight 2hp dust collector, but its big and has a 5 micron bag. If I ever get more space, then I will get a bigger, better dust collector. Hopefully cyclones will come down in price by then. The Scheppach is a little better than a 5hp shop vac, but it is quieter and hopefully can be left on longer. My wife burned out the hang up vac vacuuming her car. I also like that it uses a 4 inch hose.

⭐⭐⭐ out 5 stars.