Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stanley levels

stanley levels

hi i have three old stanley levels 2 2ft and 1 3ft they are mahogany and brass does anybody know if these are any good and worth somthing

Vintage levels are much like planes, smaller sizes are valued more highly. Now is one of these was a 9" brass bound Stratton....
    Gentleman Jim

probably not michael, stanley levels aren't that great .

are there any numbers on them? do they have brass all the way around the edges or wood?

yes their ends are capped in brass and their is a brass plate on the top and their are numbers i cant remember off the top of my head ill try to post some pics next time im in the shop

Probably Stanley "0" levels, of which there are lots. I've paid maybe $2 for each of the two I own.

Wooden levels are probably good for collecting, but aren't as accurate for working with as they can have a tendancy to shift with variations in humidity.
    Best Regards

Gary

If it aint broke, don't fix it

hey, they worked fine for a very long time. but a lot of them were made to be adjustable. if you're building something out of wood, that probably has a tendency to shift too, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by James Taglienti View Post
    hey, they worked fine for a very long time. but a lot of them were made to be adjustable. if you're building something out of wood, that probably has a tendency to shift too, eh?
    Hey, sarcasm doesn't suit you. eh? You prefer wooden levels and I prefer metal ones. So what? I don't have any problem with your taste in tools, but you don't need to act like one when referring to my tool preference.

Wooden levels saw use for many years, but were more commonplace because cast metal levels hadn't entered the equation and not necessarily because they were the best tool for the job. Another argument you omitted would have been the use of water and plumb levels, but they were superceded by spirit levels and theodolites. Craftsmanship basically boils down to being as practical as possible and using the best tools and techniques available in order to produce top quality work. Having a guaranteed accuracy to within 0.5mm per metre using a modern cast metal level is far better than the "I'm not quite sure if it's true" problem that's all too often encountered when using wooden levels.

Both are neander tools.

Having a preference for metal levels isn't exactly unorthodox. Test drive daily use of wooden bodied levels against that of metal levels and see which you have most trouble from in terms of variations in accuracy. I'd much rather pick up a level, know it's true and only need to check it occasionally, rather than wonder if it's true or needs checking and adjusting on a daily/twice daily basis.

It's your choice.
    Best Regards

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by James Taglienti View Post
    You're the one who is getting all bent out of shape.

Thanks for jumping all over me the first chance you got, which seems to be a theme with you, judging by some of your other posts. Charming!
    I don't think so, but you - on the other hand do seem to be getting all bent out of shape. Please feel free to think what you wish and point out the error of my ways. You can begin by explaining this supposed theme you so kindly mention, but let's take it to pm if you've a problem you need to deal with.

All I'd mentioned was my choice being metal levels, whilst justifying my preference for them due to improved stability and accuracy. Nothing more or less.

You've done nothing to disprove the attitude I'd referred to and I'm perfectly fine with your preferences. It's a free world.
    Best Regards

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz Palmer View Post
    It's a free world.
    Perhaps, but it's not a free forum, at least from the standpoint of what one puts into posts, and the required civility of tone that one must post with. James didn't give you any reason to jump on him - lay off, dude.

Quote Originally Posted by David Keller NC View Post
    Perhaps, but it's not a free forum, at least from the standpoint of what one puts into posts, and the required civility of tone that one must post with. James didn't give you any reason to jump on him - lay off, dude.
    David,

My "It's a free world" comment regarded the freedom to choose whichever tools you prefer. Nothing more or less.

Who on earth jumped on who? I certainly didn't jump on anyone, so something must have been lost in translation somewhere along the line.

If someone opens by saying "hey" and closes by saying "eh?" in print it can sometimes be construed as sarcastic. Or do people not refer to one another by name here or simply say "Hi"?
    Best Regards

Gary

lets just call it quits. Trivialities are boring. researching posts, selecting quotes, arguing points, talking to PM people, contacting my Jr. High school debate instructor for pointers, etc really would give this little disagreement far more gravity than it deserves. I would bet we both have some more constructive things to do.

And I really wasn't being sarcastic in the first post there, hey and eh are parts of my actual vocabulary.
    Last edited by James Taglienti; 11-16-2010 at 10:45 AM.

When James says he wasn't being sarcastic, I think he's on the level...

wait for it...

wait....

hey hey hey, take it over to the "origin of coffin smoother" thread if you're going to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz Palmer View Post
    I don't think so, but you - on the other hand do seem to be getting all bent out of shape. Please feel free to think what you wish and point out the error of my ways. You can begin by explaining this supposed theme you so kindly mention, but let's take it to pm if you've a problem you need to deal with.

All I'd mentioned was my choice being metal levels, whilst justifying my preference for them due to improved stability and accuracy. Nothing more or less.

You've done nothing to disprove the attitude I'd referred to and I'm perfectly fine with your preferences. It's a free world.

Quote Originally Posted by john brenton View Post
    hey hey hey, take it over to the "origin of coffin smoother" thread if you're going to argue.

Behave.

This means calm down, I'm not arguing with anyone and haven't argued. Here or elsewhere for that matter.
    Last edited by Gaz Palmer; 11-16-2010 at 11:58 AM.
    Best Regards

Gary