View Poll Results: What do you do withh your sawdust?

Voters
195. You may not vote on this poll
  • Burn most of it

13 6.67%
  • Discard most of it in the trash (take it the dump)

87 44.62%
  • Compost most of it

64 32.82%
  • Something else

31 15.90%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sawdust: What Do You Do With It?

Sawdust: What Do You Do With It?

We generate lots of sawdust. Currently I burn about 90% of it which is time consuming and spreads a lot of the dust in the area around my woodstove. I shovel it right out of the bin into the woodstove, though I have heard that some folks mix it with motor oil and put it in paper bags to make it easier to handle.

I take only the stuff contaminated with plastic or pressure treated lumber to the local transfer station (dump).

When I lived in the suburbs I composted some of it, but this was a very, very slow process.

What do you do with it?
    ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YMMV. IMHO. FWIW. SYOB. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.

I take mine to the farm and use it as bedding for the cows. Seriously!!!!

I add it to the brush pile down back. I found the dust that I make doesn't compost well, probably too much pine in it.

Bedding for our chicken coop. When it's sufficiently nasty from bird-doo, it goes in the compost bin and then into the garden. Chicken poop makes a really hot compost pile.

If I have more shavings than our chickens can use, I bag it and put it out with the yard waste. The city collects it and composts it.

I just chuck mine in the woods. Ma Nature takes it from there.

I'm just a hobbyist so it's not like I create yards and yards of dust/chips.
    -Dan D.

Ray's rule for precision:

Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe.

I put some in brown paper lunch bags and use them as kindling for the outdoor fire pit.

I keep meaning to ask the horse owners near me if they would like any for bedding (yes I know about the walnut warning).

I usually take the rest to the township's yard waste recycling area

I give it to someone that uses it for bedding for his chickens and cows

I almost treat the stuff as toxic waste. Why on earth would I spend all that time and money keeping it out of my shop air only to throw it on my chickens, horses, or garden?

Blog Entries
    Any time I fill a bin without any offending species sneaking in there I dump it in a barrel outside the shop and it finds its way into planters and so forth. If there is walnut or other stuff in there that is not good for plant beds, it goes in the "green barrel". The green barrel is indeed green in color and is supplied by the waste disposal folks for plants trimmings, grass, small wood chips and sawdust.

10. Most of it ends up in the garbage with a small percentage getting burned. Now the shavings and dust from the pecan I used for my kitchen must have been very tasty cause my 7 dogs would eat that when ever they got the chance.

Ge'Flingin it downwind.

Of course I have 35 acres to fling it into!

My landlord has a mulch pile, a big one, maybe 300-400 cu yards. I throw it there.

I bag it and put it out with the trash. Here are my steps:
    1. Hold breath
    2. Dump
    3. Run
    In all, it has been effective

Haul it into work and give it to a co-worker for his chickens.

My garbage collectors demanded that I double bag. Evidently the sanding dust looked like smoke or an explosion to the folks at the dump.