Thread: Spindle adapter for a drill chuck?

Spindle adapter for a drill chuck?

Has anyone made a spindle adapter that can be mounted in the jaws of a drill chuck? I'd like to use one to center bowls mounted on a faceplate when hollowing the inside...

I know I can buy a tapered spindle adapter, but I already have a drill chuck, and thought there might be a cheaper way to do this with a piece of copper pipe and a threaded nipple of some sort?

Similar...

Are you talking about something to temporarily mount the faceplate to the tailstock for alignnment only? Or something that would actually stay in the tailstock and spin with the work?

I made an MT-2 arbor to 1" x 8 adapter by cutting off the end of a 1" x 8 bolt and drilling/tapping a 3/8"-16 hole in the center of it. The bolt with the drilled/tapped hole could just as easily have been mounted on a 3/8"-16 bolt and put in a drill chuck instead of on the MT-2 to 3/8"-16 arbor.

I've had trouble finding 1" x 8 fasteners at my usual haunts. Tractor Supply has them. I have a long 1" x 8 nut that I used to mount the sawed-off bolt to the lathe spindle for drilling and tapping. Both of these operations should be done on the lathe (and without removing/reattaching) to maintain the best precision. I guess if I were doing this and mounting a bolt into the 1" x 8 piece, I'd try to find a brass bolt so I could true it up while the drilled/tapped 1" piece was still on the lathe spindle. I'd just skim a parting tool along the brass shaft until any runout was gone.

If you know of a source of 1" x 8 brass hardware, let us know.

Art