Thread: How do you heat your shop?

Question How do you heat your shop?

Gotta do something this winter about heating my garage/shop. Thinking of using a kerosene type heater, but I'm a little concerned about the dust in the air. It's either heat it or take the winter off.
    Wes

"Never believe everything you think"

Do a search on this subject as this is a very popular topic.

I have a Dayton G73 that heats my 20x20 garage quite well.

I use kero and have not had a problem yet...some say it produces water and that is correct...although I live in Ohio and the air is generally dry here in the winter time so I really don't worry about it much.

I use two actually b/c I have a really big shop with very little insulation. I am hoping to add insulation in the ceiling this year and that should cut down fuel consumption by 1/2. I really don't work out there enough to justify spending thousands in insulation. Maybe afterni hit the lottery.

I use a CO sensor on twomsides of my shop and the kero's have not ever set them off...even when the air exchange is minimal.

Best of luck,

JG
    Last edited by John Grabowski; 11-16-2010 at 5:08 PM. Reason: Typo

1.) I have a woodstove that I use to burn:
    a.) Wood that I recover from my land.
    b.) Wood scraps
    c.) Sawdust
    this provides most of the heat.

2.) A canister type 40000 BTU propane heater that I use to warm my 625 sq. ft. shop quickly as it takes a while for the woodstove to put out enough heat on a cold winter morning in New Hampshire. I have to run this about 20 before the woodstove and residual heat makes it comfortable. I use about 40 lbs during the course of an average winter.

3.) I have an electric, oil type heater of 1500 watts that will keep the temp above 35 degrees on the coldest nights. I use it on the 500 watt setting with the thermostat on low. I am seldom in my shop Mon - Thurs. and that is when I turn this one on.

5.5 inches fiberglass insulation in the walls, and 8 inches in the ceiling. I also have aCO sensor.
    ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YMMV. IMHO. FWIW. SYOB. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.

Big thread on exactly this, been running for a week now
    Hate to see topics get split, folks on that thread miss out on answers posted here, or vice versa.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=152346
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

6. Quote Originally Posted by wes murphy View Post
    Gotta do something this winter about heating my garage/shop. Thinking of using a kerosene type heater, but I'm a little concerned about the dust in the air. It's either heat it or take the winter off.

Maybe you could consider moving south?

I just use one of those plug-in oil-filled radiators in my shop. When I built it, I thought I'd need (and I bought) two of them. The second one gets loaned out on a regular basis to neighbors and friends when their furnace dies.

Quote Originally Posted by David Thompson 27577 View Post
    Maybe you could consider moving south?
    That has been considered. I'm originally from central texas, but western South Dakota has my heart now.
    Wes

"Never believe everything you think"

Blog Entries
    My shop is attached to he house so the house geothermal system heats the shop. I have hepa filters on the air returns to keep dust from the duct work and house.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute