Thread: Craftsman 12" scms gloat/Review *Pic

Talking Craftsman 12" scms gloat/Review *Pic

Well as some of you know I work for a company owned by Sears, Lands' End. Last night was one of their special discount days where employees get 20% off of tools. My dad gave me a $200 gift card to Sears for Christmas. We bought a Makita 10" SCMS a few years ago together and have shared it. Lately though, I have had it when he wanted it and vise versa. So, he decided to buy out my half for $125. Finally, I had an additional 10% off coupon from signing up for the Craftsman Club emails.

So I bought the Craftsman 12" double bevel, SCMS for $448. The saw was not on sale on the shelf but rang up for $549.99 in the computer... YEAH. Then my associates discount of 19% (10% + 10%) was taken off, then I gave him my Craftsman club coupon. He said ohh we can't take that on associate purchases. I said ohh I guess I will have to take off the 5 year warranty to make up for the lost discount. (This is where the salesmen make their money, on the warranty). He goes ohh well I guess we can take it .

So final cost was $448 with tax and a 5 year in shop warranty. Every year they will come out and inspect the saw and do any maintance required. I realize some don't like Craftsman, however, I feel this is one of the diamonds in the rough. My uncle is a contractor by day and a woodworker by night. He uses his saw (exact same one) every day and has had it for two years. He has not had to make an adjustment on it since he set it up. It still cuts perfect. Out of the box the saw was NOT set up perfectly in any way. The fence had to be adjusted as well as all of the bevel stops. All in all from the time I got home until it was set up was about an hour... not too bad.

The features that I like about this saw are that the handle adjusts to a different angle when you are doing bevel cuts for more comfort. The laser will be nice for rough cuts. Also, the bevel lock is up front, no more reaching around the saw to do the bevel. The dust bag is a 2 1/2 inch port, I hooked up the shop vac to the port and almost all of the dust was collected. Finally the miter lock seems very secure.

For Tyler a pic, sorry it's not in the shop, but my digital camera is broken right now.

Last edited by Jeff Sudmeier; 12-29-2004 at 9:20 AM.

Update:

LOML spotted the saw out in the shop this morning! LOL she called me at work and said what the heck is that in the shop?!??! Hard to hide things from her darn it!

Nice looking saw! And looks like you made out with a darn good deal too!

I'm sure you'll enjoy making sawdust with that for years to come. Have Fun.

-Linc

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sudmeier
    Update:

LOML spotted the saw out in the shop this morning! LOL she called me at work and said what the heck is that in the shop?!??!
    Ah, Jeff, the proper response in situations like that is: "Huh? Well, YOU said you wanted me to make a (insert article description here) and if you don't want it looking like a piece of junk, I really needed that (insert tool here) to make the (insert woodworking detail here) or, it would be real cobbled together." Congrats and have fun with the new saw!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Thumbs up

I'm jealous! I've been eye balling that exact saw for quite some time now. I have the Craftsman Professional 12 inch compound miter, and it does an excellent job. But now I wish I had the slider. Rock on! Nice saw and an excellent price. By the way, thanks for the review.
    Last edited by aurelio alarcon; 12-30-2004 at 3:57 AM.
    Member - Uncle Sam's Misguided Children '82-'85.
    Once, Now Former, But Always!

"Among individuals, as among nations, the respect for the other's rights brings peace."
    Benito Juarez

Nice haul Jeff. Glad to see you got the 12". It just opens up so many more things you can cut.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Jeff....Nice haul! The next time Sears has a tool sale, I'd suggest some heavy duty knee pads......They save the knees when one is groveling before or after a tool purchase! besides they are relatively cheap!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Ah, Jeff, the proper response in situations like that is: "Huh? Well, YOU said you wanted me to make a (insert article description here) and if you don't want it looking like a piece of junk, I really needed that (insert tool here) to make the (insert woodworking detail here) or, it would be real cobbled together." Congrats and have fun with the new saw!
    Actually, the money came out of "my tool budget". We each have our own money, so she knew that she didn't have to have a say in the purchase Now the DC that I bought was out of "our budget" so that was pre-approved

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald
    Jeff....Nice haul! The next time Sears has a tool sale, I'd suggest some heavy duty knee pads......They save the knees when one is groveling before or after a tool purchase! besides they are relatively cheap!
    Ken,

Actually I still have mine from my construction days, good thing I kept them! My next purchase is a bandsaw and that is going to require some begging!

I am glad that I got the 12 inch as well, I had thought about the 8 1/2 inch dewalt, but the 12 inch will just let me do anything that any miter saw can do. Also, I am to the point where I want to buy tools that I will not have to replace for awhile. I am not missing any tools in the shop that I HAVE to have in order to work, so now I am moving on to buying tools that will last a long time (I hope)