Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Difficult to loosen chuck

I will swap out chucks depending on what I am turning or sanding. I have used a plastic washer for years, and have noticed no wash/run out. I do prefer the chuck to be fairly tight, and mostly the turning pressure will continue to snug it up. The key in the chuck will get it off most of the time. The only time the chucks tend to get sticky is because of dust/chips/debris in the threads. Usually simple to blow out or maybe a stiff bristle tooth brush.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post
    Just curious as to why you fellas are removing your chuck all the time. I haven't removed my SN2 since it was mounted onto the headstock. And I cant think of a reason, other than swapping it out for a better chuck (permanently), to ever take mine off.
    Scott, how do you turn with a faceplate? I don't like swapping my chuck out each time, but I know of no other way.

I use faceplates, four jaw chucks, spur drives, jacob chucks, donut chuck, etc. on my head stock. That's why I have to take my scroll chucks off. Indeed, I can't imagine how I would turn with a scroll chuck only on the head stock all the time. I suppose that with a center screw you could use less faceplates?

As for stuck chucks, I find that it is usually saw dust and grit combined with having left the chuck on for a few days that tend to cause a stick situation. I just use the key and spindle lock, sometimes juiced by a squirt of WD40. I then take care to clean things up(remove the gunk from the thread areas and elsewhere) to avoid a repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post
    Just curious as to why you fellas are removing your chuck all the time. I haven't removed my SN2 since it was mounted onto the headstock. And I cant think of a reason, other than swapping it out for a better chuck (permanently), to ever take mine off.
    Scott, depends on your turning habits. I usually have more than one project going at one time. Sometimes I use 2 or more chucks to do the various operations needed for a project. I change chucks because each chuck has a different sized set of jaws to be used as needed. I remove the chuck for spindle turning. I sometime use Double faced tape with a faceplate.

Also, I turn on both the inboard and outboard sides of my lathe.

I have 6 chucks, all are used.

Wally

I have a faceplate ring that is made for my 50mm chuck jaws. Works great and the chuck stays on the lathe 100% of the time. I have been meaning to buy a larger ring for bigger blanks but so far, this one works good enough to turn a tenon and flip it around!

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Scott, how do you turn with a faceplate? I don't like swapping my chuck out each time, but I know of no other way.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Faust,
    I cut a washer from the paper used to support the sticky labels that I print from the PC.
    When you have printed out the labels the sheet you are left with has a shiny surface on one side where the labels were. This is ideal for a washer between chuck and headstock register

take care
    Don W

Don,
    You must have been doing some catch up reading. Thanks for the tip. I will try it. We surely have that laying around.
    faust

Yes Faust,
    I only get on here every 2 weeks or so, and I find I have a lot to catch up.

take care
    Don W

9. Try applying a coat of Slick 50 one Lube, on the contact points with your finger.