Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Difficult to loosen chuck

Difficult to loosen chuck

I find it difficult to remove my chuck from the lathe after turning a bowl. I saw a "chuck washer" in a catalog today. It supposedly keeps the chuck from getting so tight it is hard to remove. Does anyone use a washer or perhaps have another remedy. My chuck is a Talon and I typically use a strap wrench around the chuck, lock the spindle and give it a tug.
    faust

I don't use a washer and have used oneway chucks on many different lathes with no trouble. Just put your chuck key in the chuck, lock the spindle and give the chuck key a good thump with the palm of your hand and it will loosen with little effort. Make sure your set screws are backed out so that they clear the threads on your spindle.
    Jack

Chuck Washers

I bought a couple of plastic ones for my Powermatic. Then after using them for awhile I made a couple the same size from some cherry I had laying around. To be honest with you the cherry ones work as good if not better than the plastic ones I bought.

I do not use washers as this can be a point of run-out. Do like Jack says and you should be good to go.

Alan

I do the same thing as Jack - works every time!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I have the talon and when it gets a little tight I use a piece of board about 18"x2" and tighten it between the jaws and use it as lever.

I do like Fred does with a board between the jaws. Works every time. I don't like the washer because of run out that was mentioned.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks for the voices of experience. I never considered the fact that the washer would have to be and remain perfect in order not to cause run out. In all truthfulness, I began by using the chuck key as a lever and stopped because I was concerned I would damage the teeth. I will go back to that method.
    faust

I'm with Jack. I too have Oneway and follow the same process. I do, however, use washers on my faceplate assembly and a pair of channel lock plyers to break it loose.
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

I have some arthritis in my hands so use one of those strap wrenches on the chuck even when it's not "stuck." Works like a charm.

when doing heavy rough outs I use a home made washer from a piece of milk jug. Very thin and never noticed run out. Usually though one is not required. Insert chuck key and give it a tap...Bill...

I don't recommend using a washer, but if you feel that you want to, you can make one from milk carton material. It's waxy and works well.

If you're having problems getting the chuck unstuck, it migh be because it's not screwed on tight enough. If it's a loose fit, starting the lathe will move it enough to jam it on. I learned that the hard way once with a faceplate. Had to rent a long heavy pipe wrench to get it loose.

Wally

Just curious as to why you fellas are removing your chuck all the time. I haven't removed my SN2 since it was mounted onto the headstock. And I cant think of a reason, other than swapping it out for a better chuck (permanently), to ever take mine off.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

What's wrong with a wrench

I am not sure most turners would recognize a small run-out error. It would be noticeable primarily as vibration from the chuck's mass being off axis. Similar to a piece of wood that has a dense portion or a void. Of course steel is denser than wood so small errors are more noticeable.
    I use an SN2 and the easiest way to remove it is a wrench on the threaded adapter. I picked up an old cast iron, S shaped wrench at a flea market and ground the working end of it, on a belt sander, to be thin enough to fit in the space between the headstock and the chuck. It's easy on the hand and makes it easy to break the chuck loose from the spindle. The wrench only cost me $1.50 and about five minutes to grind down its width.

From my past experience. Do not spin the chuck fast to snap the chuck tight. Just slowly turn and tighten it as needed but not try to jam it by spinning the chuck. I saw a report from Lyle Jamieson that the washers will allow slight vibration in the chuck and the chuck is supposed to bottom out with metal to metal contact to get full thrength of the tightening process.