Thread: Drill storage design

Drill storage design

Guess this is the place to ask this question. I am looking for ideas for a hand drill station holding 8 drills. 5 cordless and 3 corded units. Would need storage for batteries and chargers also.

My lack of imagination prevents just making something, but I can usually expound upon someone's elses ideas and come up with a usable plan.

This is for a friend with a "machine shop" so I want something to repay past and future favors.

How about a cabinet with a long shelf in the upper part notched to hold the drills so the grips are nearest the user? Below that, an angled shelf with a cleat along the front for spare batteries. Below that another angled shelf with the chargers mounted on it.

Plug the chargers into a power strip mounted at the back under the lowest shelf. Or cut the cords on the chargers to make them just long enough to reach a pair of terminal strips mounted on the underside of the lowest shelf. Eliminate the tangle of cords and plugs. Power to the chargers could go through a master switch with a pilot light.

Cabinet could be wall mounted and long enough for all the drills. Plan the width based on the chargers as they are commonly wider than the drill. Maybe a door or doors across the front or not.

It could also be built as a square box mounted on a lazy susan. Or how about a cylinder with all the drills pointing in toward each other?

A Inelegant Idea

I've seen plastic jugs with the bottom and some of the side cut out fit pretty well as a holster. Don't know whether that might fit into your plans or not. It seems to me the person I saw do this used a 1/2 gallon size for a PC cordless.
    18th century nut --- Carl

Here is something you can expand on...
    http://www.woodnet.net/tips/drilling/drill-holster/
    You could incorporate space next to the cordless drills for their rechargers and extra batteries. Just a thought.
    Anything is possible once you get beyond your fear

Chris Messier

Thanks all for your input. Will post pic of finished product! May be a while till I get a chance to start as LOML has what she described as a "small" project. She takes precedence to any other projects

Jim,
    I'll chime in a little late. I made a holder that hangs from my rafters - 16"oc will fit four drill motors with the chargers mounted on the sides. I have another holder for the spare batteries - smaller holes and angled for easier reach. Both were quick and simple to make - took longer for the paint to dry than to make. Note the drill motors are resting on the clutch ring, not the chuck.

FWIW,

Wes
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wes a question. Do the batteries stay in the chargers ok? Wouldn't want them raining down on my friends head

Jim,

Yes they do. These are Craftsman drill motors - both chargers hold the batteries fairly tight. I never considered them falling when I designed the holder since they were in tight. Just luck I guess.

Wes