Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why a Duck?

to mend the joist
    did you really type that?

+1 for the "don't do it" camp.

Remember, you're looking at cross-sectional area. So instead of a 6" pipe running under the joists, what about a shorter but wider box of some type that would not hang so low? a 6" pipe has about 28 sq in of area. a 10"x3" box (inside dimensions) would be a little larger cross-section, but only drop half as much.

I say forget the "straightforward" route and plan a new one - maybe run a trunk along the wall at one end that runs perpendicular to the joists, and then run sections off that up in between the joists to get to where you want to drop down.

Another option would be to cut the concrete floor (assuming it's concrete) and bury duct under that.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

As a general contractor, the second scariest thing on a job site is a plumber with a chainsaw . The scariest was an electrician with FULL double bags on heading for the new kitchen to do trim-out in a room full of new cabinets and granite countertops.

I'll echo many above - don't butcher the ceiling joists. If there isn't enough headroom to hang the ducting below, run it around the perimeter. My shop has just enough room for 7" main trunks over the top of the wall cabinets.
    The problem with education in the School of Hard Knocks is that by the time you're educated, you're too old to do anything.

shark percussion, jaws redux

I can hear the dum,dum,dum,dum of SHARKS. Nooooo!! Argh!!

I will not be cranking up the chain saw or butchering my floor joists. But it is moving to hear such an outpouring of concern. Which I respect and appreciate.

The route is now against the wall with appropriate wyes going parallel and up between the joists for the machines away from the wall. I have done the the numbers and I few feet of length to the set up, which I can subtract by connecting the filter bag directly to the exit of the blower in its new placement.

Mission accomplished. Now if I can only find the time to implement the plan.

So, nobody has addressed the original question - Why a Duck?

Bruce, I like your good humor! You're right, you chummed that water and we're a' circlin'!
    Good point from Thos. Banks, where's the duck in all this?
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Here are some pictures of how I ran my 6" PVC Duct work. It may help you out. I have since made changes to the system buy shortening the tube length to the Dust Collector, making the Table Saw a 6" system and change to Router Table port to 4" with 2-1/2" up to the fence.

Last edited by Gary Lange; 11-22-2010 at 7:15 PM.
    I want to create love in my woodworking with a love for woodworking.

Gary,

My goodness, that is a lot of pipe. What is the HP of your motor and what is the size of the impeller on that green machine in the corner?

Does it manage to fill those separators?

Do you have any way to measure the cfm and static pressure at the table saw?

That is a Two Horsepower unit and the Impeller is 12-3/4". I haven't filled the separators yet but then I haven't done much work in the shop lately. I have been fishing wish is my other passion. I have no way to measure the Static Pressure at the saw. Right now I have a flex hose coming down from the collector and I am going to change that to PVC this winter when I do more work in the shop. I have to make and end table to go with the coffee table I built. It's my first big project. It is solid Maple except for the inside of the drawers which are Birch.

I want to create love in my woodworking with a love for woodworking.