Thread: Cherry Jewlery Box

Blog Entries

Cherry Jewlery Box

I just finished this box up today. It is cherry with a bit of maple stringing. All hand cut joinery and hand plained surfaces.
    The finish is danish oil and wax.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

From first glance I thought you used two types of wood because the end grain is darker.

I like the proportions and size.

I've made jewelry boxes that either end up being too small, or too bulky and look like mini treasure chests.

Blog Entries
    Nice box. I like the lid. I am always looking for a different lid so I may try that.

Nice work on the jewelry box Andrew.
    Bonus points for all the hand work..

Andrew, Nice box. I like your choice of cherry. It will get darker every year.

Beautiful wood and beautiful hand-cut dovetails. It is hard to go wriong with cherry, isn't it.

Blog Entries
    Thanks all.
    The cherry is some that I got from a guy on craigslist. It's from Pensilvania, and was cut and kiln dried about 10 years ago, and has been sitting in a large outbuilding basically ever sense. I wish he had more of it... stralth gloat, paid about $1.50 a BF.

The color of the cherry should be very nice once it has a chance to age.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Very nice, Andrew. One comment is that you may wish to consider a frame and panel construction or breadboard ends for the lids for future box projects. Flat-sawn hardwood, particularly domestic species, have a tendency to cup with changes in humidity.

The work of Bill Wyko on this forum is an example of creatively-used frame and panel construction, and there are many other methods/styles that will change the look of the box.

Blog Entries
    Excellent job all around. The ratios seem right on, the joinery is fantastic and the design is very pleasing to the eye. Someone is going to be very happy when they recieve this.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Beautiful box! Fantastic dovetails! And I love the danish oil-wax combination on cherry - well done!