Thread: Outdoor sign questions again

Outdoor sign questions again

I feel like I am using up my quota of questions in this forum. I probably could not keep moving forward without the generous answers from everyone.

Attached is a photo of an outdoor sign I received last night. It is currently an adhesive label. White with black lettering and some red lettering for emphasis. They want to move away from the label, and do not want vinyl. I thougth I could laser engrave black on white lasermax but then I am not sure on the correct way to add the red letters for emphasis?

Your advice is always appreciated. Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If it were me, I'd find someone local or close to local with a Gerber Edge and I'd have them make this on their LexEdge product. It's the type of stuff that's used on gas pumps. It's lexan, thin lexan, with the product printed on the backside. You can put sheet adhesive (or they can) on it once it's printed.

It's a VERY nice product and durable. And cheap.

You can pay someone and have a superior product, in my opinion, and do it cheaper than you can buy plastic and engrave it.

Just my opinion.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Paint filling one line on Rowmark is not a big problem, but I wonder why that would be considered better than the sticker? if it's looks, and there are many of these, screenprinting would be the way to go. Scott's idea is great if you can find a local Edge shop, but also could use sublimation. To keep it in house, use 1/16" clear acrylic. Spray the back white, then engrave the copy ojn the back in reverse. Then mask the red line, and spray black. Mask the black lines and spray the red. Apply vinyl to protect the back then attach.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

My problem with engraving and paint filling is that it's probably going to be a $50-60 sign. I believe you can find someone to make it on the edge for about $15-20 and you don't have to do anything but deliver it.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Scott, that may depend on where you are. Around here, even for wholesale shops charge a minimum for all jobs, and are up to $35. Even if you go in and ask for a set of 4 vinyl letters for your mailbox it's $35.

I might charge that much for this sign in the manner I described, but could do it in 10 minutes with a tiny amount of Krylon Fusion and material cost is 0 (scraps) so it's nearly all profit.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Thank you all again for the ideas. I appreciate it.

Don Williams

I don't no if you have any 1/2" glacier white Corian? if not you could visit your local countertop installer and ask for a sink cutout. Using a table saw or router cut a rectangle then using a roman ogee bit around the edge. Laser engrave the text then use color fill/adhesive to get the required letter color.

Mick
    Hardware:
    CAMaster 508 ATC + Recoil
    2013 Trotec Speedy 100, 60 watt, rotary attachment, vector grid.
    Software:
    CoralDraw - Aspire 9 - EnRoute

Custom Architectural Signage
    Mick Martin Woodworking