Thread: hand planes?

hand planes?

I was just wondering if theres anywhere in the Minneapolis area that teaches or can show a guy to set up and use hand planes i just inherited. Rockler stoped holding classes, when they closed the minneapolis store.

Woodcraft in Bloomington holds periodic plane classes. I think they just had one in the past month or so.

Try Neanderthal Forum

Aaron,

You might want to post your question in the Neanderthal Forum. You'll probably get some more answers.

- Mike

Blog Entries
    Check over in the Neanderthal Haven, there may be some guys in your area that would be willing to help.
    You could also find your local woodworking club and meet people that could help that way as well.

The most important think about a plane it to get the iron sharp. The sharper it is the better it will work.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Arron,

I agree with the others on the neander forum.

That said, I have reconditioned a number of older planes and the process is pretty standard. There are a ton of videos/articles on the web and getting hands-on instruction is probably not necessary if you're patient and willing to do some reading.

A couple of tips:

1.)High quality after-market blades will make you a much better plan restorer (I recommend Hock)

2.)Get your lapping situation set before you start. Don't just wing it.