Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Advice on 2x4 Shop Plans

Got all the pieces cut and partially assembled for the first shelf. It looks really good. Do you guys normally put some type of finish on your shop furniture?

I read somewhere else that shellac was a good one. I have used Minwax polycrylic in the past for a project i did like 8 years ago. Turned out really well but i had to spray it on, otherwise it looked like crap. Its held up extremely well though, it was a on a huge desk i built that i use every day for about 8 hours a day. It also survived a busted pipe in the ceiling for a whole weekend with water pouring on it like Niagara falls. I took the desk apart and took it out to dry and it was completely fine. I couldn't believe it. So i know thats some tuff stuff, but i was hoping for something easier if i am going to do it.

Hey Ryan...

I like a rub on oil or oil-varnish finish. To me it's the easiest, and while it doesn't offer the protection of some of the "thicker" choices, I don't really mind a ding or mark on shop stuff. And it's also easy to wipe on a new coat down the road.

It should be labeled 5/4. At least that's what you should ask for. In today's lumber yard 5/4 lumber is dressed to 1". It's more likely available in pine but that depends on where you are.

But Lowes and HD, collectively the borg, are horrible places to buy lumber. Find a real lumberyard. Phoenix is a large enough city that it will have several. You will be surprised that you pay very little more for superior materials. You usually go to a counter to place an order. You can ask questions, usually the counter people know more than anyone you will find at the borg. They give you a pull sheet, you drive into the yard and someone pulls the lumber for you. You can certainly say things like--that one is too curved or I don't want ones with the pith. You load up, and then there is usually a person at the exit who checks the invoice as you leave. It's really easy and the guys are usually friendly an helpful to DIY customers. That wasn't always the case, but the lumberyards with an attitude have gone out of business by and large. The only problem is you can't go on Sunday, or late in the day.