Thread: Turning Wenge

Turning Wenge

How is wenge to turn? Any finishing tips?
    Anything to beware of? The blank I have is nice and I don't want to waste.

I've only done pens, but I found it to be dry and somewhat prone to splintering. It's really dusty and has fairly open pores. On the plus side, it's beautiful wood and worth the effort.

Nasty stuff

Wenge is nasty dusty stuff. I posted comments on it recently when I turned a bowl with it. I got a reasonable finish on the piece, but nearly choked on the spray of crumbled wood shavings and dust that come off the cutting tool
    Finishing was also a challenge. most finishes turn it solid near black. All of the intricate texture and coloration disappear.
    Even though I consider the result to be quite good, I doubt that I will turn wenge as second time.

Wenge can be difficult, but perhaps worth the effort. One very effective treatment is to bleach it - very dramatic with the resulting contrast.

Very open grained and the figure get lost in the dark chocolate color. Bleaching, sandblasting. or caustic treatment would add a lot. I found it brittle and could chip out.

Let's see, checklist for turning wenge...

• Face shield (splintery stuff)

• Respirator (very dusty)

• Sharpener ready (the grain in wenge pulls up grit into the wood as it grows and is very abrasive)

As for finish, any wenge finials I do are usually just a few applications of a good friction polish. I have better luck on the larger pieces with something less glossy like a spar varnish then waxed. (I use 0000 steel wool and rub it in to the piece with Butchers bowling alley wax) and it seems to keep the grain patterns standing out.
    YMMV

I've been waiting for a piece to try bleaching like Malcom suggested. I imagine it would be a very cool look.

Jim

I agree with the rest as far as the wood goes. Beautiful when finished but as was said lots of dust and a DC and respirator is a must. Dust is nasty to breathe.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I have just about given up on using wenge for any kind of spindle work that calls for sharp details. The stuff is just too splintery.

I have also noticed in some pieces there are very small white flecks in the grain. I usually flick them out with a sharp knife before I apply sanding sealer.

I am definitely going to have to try the bleaching idea.

$.02
    Quando Omni Flunkus - Moritatem!

I dont like it for all the reasons listed but have only done a couple of pens.
    Way too dark to appreciate the contrast, and Im not excited enough about the possiblity to get into bleaching or using other chemicals when there are so many wonderful woods that turn beautifully right off the tree.