Thread: exterior shop lighting

exterior shop lighting

My shop a few hundred feet from my house (on another pc of property.) Now that it is dark all the time I've been thinking that it would be nice to be able to turn on the exterior lights on my way over there. Motion detectors aren't too attractive, as there is a lot of traffic, (pedestrian, animal, vehicular) and I don't want them turning on and off all the time. I did a ridiculous amount of web research and finally happened upon this, which looks like just the ticket. www.controlight.com

Does anyone have any experience with, or input into this problem/solution.

Thanks.

I have no experience with the product but based on the information at the website, it should work.

If the shop is a metal building or has metal siding it might not work well but other than that, based on the manufacturer's specs, it should work.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

We did a trade show display for Heath=Zenith that had just what you are looking for.

I used a different brand (can't remember the name now but it was considerably cheaper). Put one in my wife's studio/office and one for my shop. Wife's lasted about a year and mine never really worked at all. Hopefully the one you linked, at that price, will work well. It is a pain when your building is some distance from your house in these dark days.

What about a contactor and one of the cheap remotes? Or one of the 110 volt dust collector remotes like a Lone Ranger??? Should be easy enough to wire in. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I always hesitate when I see fancy websites and the price is hard to find. There must be a way to do what you want that is cheaper. When we had s similar need my electrician quoted me less than what this system costs installed by him. We ended going with motion lights because they were better for what we wanted.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Schwalb View Post
    My shop a few hundred feet from my house (on another pc of property.) Now that it is dark all the time I've been thinking that it would be nice to be able to turn on the exterior lights on my way over there. Motion detectors aren't too attractive, as there is a lot of traffic, (pedestrian, animal, vehicular) and I don't want them turning on and off all the time. I did a ridiculous amount of web research and finally happened upon this, which looks like just the ticket. www.controlight.com

Does anyone have any experience with, or input into this problem/solution.

Thanks.
    What about simply installing a dusk to dawn security light over at the shop? The new 65watt flourescent models work great and use very little electricity (something on the order of 1 cent per hour). I have several of them on my farm and am very pleased with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T Smith View Post
    What about simply installing a dusk to dawn security light over at the shop? The new 65watt flourescent models work great and use very little electricity (something on the order of 1 cent per hour). I have several of them on my farm and am very pleased with them.
    Same here on the front of my garage. Work really well. Mine are actually motion & dusk/dawn. It has 3 bulbs. One burns the entire time from dusk to dawn, the other two come on via the motion sensor.

This might not work for what your setup is, but I have my garage lights and exterior lights at the garage on a third button for the garage door openers. The remote works from about a hundred feet away for me.

Of course I also have motion lights.