Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haven't seen this kind of behavior on the bay in awhile

Haven't seen this kind of behavior on the bay in awhile

I'd like to think it's because of an improving economy, but I don't think so.

That site really has the psychology of winning an auction down. I know Azmica does a great job on saws, but wow. This auction does not include the mitre box.

I think I'll watch it tonight just so I can show SWMBO how responsible I am.

Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 11-21-2010 at 12:15 PM. Reason: direct links to ebay aren't allowed
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Geez

I guess my $15 saw, complete with Millers-Falls box, was kind of a bargain, then. Of course, it's a mere 26"; but for that kind of money, I could get mine sharpened and still have money left over. A lot.

Wow, I saw that but didn't notice that it was for the saw only.
    I'm sure he does a great job on his saws, but he sure knows how to market them.
    PI

My dad brought me two of those saws in a condition similar to that (I had to sharpen them, though).

The reason he had two is he got one of the big boxes at a flea market with a 30" saw for $10 (saw was branded stanley, I suspect it was disston). Then he tried to use it to cut laminate flooring (never do that), so he went to the same flea market the next week and got a second saw for $2, marked disston and in similar shape to that one.

He tried to *give* me the old one after I sharpened it, but I already have a box and it doesn't take a saw that big (in defense of the overpaying crowd, I did pay $50 for mine). He'll dull the other one sometime anyway and need to go back to the first one.

It takes a LONG time to sharpen a crosscut saw that's 30" long with small teeth. I didn't think about that before I offered to sharpen his

Hope the buyer likes sharpening sloped gullet profile teeth!

It's a bit wordy for my taste.
    I believe you can have Lie-Nielsen custom make a saw for your mitre box for about the same price it's currently at.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Herrmann View Post
    I'd like to think it's because of an improving economy, but I don't think so.

That site really has the psychology of winning an auction down. I know Azmica does a great job on saws, but wow. This auction does not include the mitre box.

I think I'll watch it tonight just so I can show SWMBO how responsible I am.

Gary - Mind posting an e-bay item number?(that's allowed, just no direct links) I'm curious, but I cannot find any listings by "Azmica"

The seller's lengthy description might have been a bit more readable had it not contained different colored fonts and so many irrelevant parenthetical phrases. I lost patience just scrolling to the bottom of the page.

I have never seen such an incredibly LONG bunch of writing. You'd THINK he was selling a rare vintage Rolls Royce,or something.

Got to justify that bid of $178.00,I guess.

It is a wordy ad, but I've watched some of his auctions and he does do very good work. His saws just go for way too much for me. Can't blame him for that. It's the buyers jacking up the price.

He also has two Disston nbr 12s that are both over $200 right now.

'Course, $178 is more than I spent for my MF LA nbr 74, two mitre saws and 2 Disston nbr 12s. Not all bought at the same kind, but I think you catch my drift.

I wonder what the driver is behind the prices...
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Mike knows his saws, and really knows how to sharpen them.

Having said that, I've guessing it's not obvious enough that the auction is only for the saw.

Given my dealings with Mike and his ebay rating, it's a mistake.
    Last edited by Chuck Nickerson; 11-21-2010 at 2:16 PM. Reason: Second thoughts.
    AKA - "The human termite"

a lot of info

He gets some huge prices on his saws. I watch them end every Sunday evening, just for sport. There are a couple of Disston #12's ending tonight, already over $200. The listing verbiage get longer and flowerier every week. The best long winded story was about the Swedish guy that bought a new nest of saws and was killed in WW2 before they could be used. They were a very nice set of unusual saws.
    Deane

OMIGOD! I thought you guys were kidding about how long his description was. I was scrolling and scrolling and scrolling and I thought my computer was going to run out of electrons before I ever got to the end!

Best line (only about a third of the way down): "I COULD GO ON ABOUT THIS SAW..."

Don't worry, you already have!

Quote Originally Posted by Deane Allinson View Post
    He gets some huge prices on his saws. I watch them end every Sunday evening, just for sport. There are a couple of Disston #12's ending tonight, already over $200. The listing verbiage get longer and flowerier every week. The best long winded story was about the Swedish guy that bought a new nest of saws and was killed in WW2 before they could be used. They were a very nice set of unusual saws.
    Deane
    I've got the guy listed as a favorite seller just so I can keep up with his auctions. Actually, I would like to try one of his saws but they are out of my budget. In addition to the one's he has listed today, he had an Atkin's go for well up in the $200s, close to $300, a week or two ago. I wonder if a few people are collecting his saws for some reason. I'd be surprised if there's very many people who would pay that much money for a panel saw.

BTW, the economy seems to be doing better around here. I had to go out to the mall yesterday and I think half of the county was there. I've also seen the "deals" on CL becoming fewer and farther between.
    Last edited by Gary Hodgin; 11-21-2010 at 2:58 PM.

I know that I've had an exchange with the guy before, and he's a good guy as far as I can tell.

Not an exchange of purchase, but that he was on woodnet once or twice and I connected the dots and figured out they were his saws.

He does a nice job sharpening, you can see very tidy teeth when he takes a closeup - a job of sharpening most hobbyists won't duplicate in any reasonable amount of time.

I don't fault him at all, and the text is just cut and paste from one auction to the next.

I have also seen his saws before when I was buying saws. He had a lot of nice saws, but the prices were too goofy for me, like a standard atkins 12" tenon saw would go for $200. I didn't block his ID on my seller list like i did lots of others like 2lshark, jtallen, ... There's a whole bunch of sellers who are listing stuff for 4x what the past sale prices for something similar. Azmica's saws may go for that, but at least he lets the buyer determine that (not to mention, his saws are ready to go and clean, and not some saw with a patch of past rust rash the size of a tennis ball) and doesn't plug up pages with ridiculously priced buy it now junk, and put the words RARE, etc all over every common item.
    Last edited by David Weaver; 11-21-2010 at 4:43 PM.