Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The need for a second overhead door?

Something to possibly consider for some towns-

In my town, having my detached building looking like and called a "garage" made it fairly easy to get permits for the structure and electrical. If I had built it without overhead doors and called it a workshop, there would have been additional scrutiny regarding commercial use and/or use as an apartment/living space.

Not saying it's right, just bringing it up.

Bob

Blog Entries
    John C wrote
    I'm very much a fan of buying a house to live in and trading resale value against quality of life, as opposed to thinking of it as an investment.
    I'm with John on this one. I say, build the shop how you want to use it, leaving yourself a reasonable path back to "conventional" along the way.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

If you live someplace where it gets warm in the summer or are going to want a lot of ventilation, keep the door. If you need more wall space, build a bigger shop.

I have 4' fluorescent fixtures at chest level around my shop for when I need more light. It is more reliable than daylight and cheaper than windows.

I just finished a 30x40 shop and have one OH door and one man door. The extra wall space is more important to me that having another door. The house already has a three car garage (first time in my life I have parked in my garage, it's wierd) so not such a big deal towards my resale thoughts.

Ski
    Ski

an overhead door may look a little better but the wall space it takes up is too valuble, in my opinion. When I built my shope (1/2 of a 4 car garage) I installed one OH door and framed for the other in case someone wanted to install the 4th door. It has worked great for me.

PM

Frame both openings in for 6 foot french doors with full or half glass. Other than driving a car in you have the best of all worlds.

I have no windows and hate it.
    That will eventually change.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Personally, I question the need for even 1 overhead door unless it's still being used for a garage. ...
    Another +1 in John's camp. I am in the process of remodeling what was a detached two car garage into a dedicated wood shop. I replaced one overhead door with windows and service door six years ago or so. I just now have finished wiring, insulating and sheet rocking the interior, and regret that I didn't replace the other overhead door with either a slider or custom made swing out doors.