Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

22 Nov 2010

Good Morning,
    I'm just willing to bet that many here are already making plans for family and friend on Thanksgiving Day. Here's hoping and praying that each of you will have safe travels, great times with family/friends, good food, and easy times of conversation. I believe it's good for all of us to stop and remember all that we are to be thankful for even in the "hard times".

Well, no woodworking for me. The day job has been taking my days and my nights for a while now and next week I go oncall and get to work days, nights, and the weekend. Looks like my week next week will be at least 80 hours or so. Good thing for the company that I'm salaried instead of hourly hugh?!!!

Well, we will be here this Thanksgiving and my oldest son will be here today to stay with us this week. It will be good to have him here and visiting with us.

Please remember, there are many who don't have jobs and are in need for a little boost to help them help their families for Thanksgiving. Do your part by giving them a little (or a lot) to help them be able to serve a good Thanksgiving meal to their famililes.

Woodworking wise? I've been researching a bit about making wooden spoons and forks for cooking with. If you have any information about how you make wooden spoons/forks??? Please PM me so I can read how to do it and then give it a try before Christmas.

Well, that's it for me....so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Watched football.

Help the LOML kid proof the house and get ready for the 9 month old twin granddaughters to make their first visit to Idaho.

Prepared a couple of pen blanks for turning.

Blew up my latest handle attempt for the Collaborative Box. My last piece of blackwood was extremely brittle! Luckily I had ordered some more. Should be here later this week.

Got leaves picked up and repaired some minor roof damage.

It's a good thing as it started snowing last night and we have Winter Storm Watches out until 10:00 a.m. tomorrow. We have 2-3 inches on the ground already.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

No woodworking this weekend to speak of, but did get the table saw out of the shop, never to return. Pretty pleased with that!

No woodworking here either. Friday evening UPS brought the bracket to hang our new TV in the bedroom so I worked on that and ran all the cabling. Saturday we drained the hot tub for the winter--haven't been using it enough to justify the electricity it uses. Then we worked on putting up Christmas lights and of course the first thing LOML found was that the outside receptacle wasn't working so I started messing with that and found that the wires were corroded plus they were jammed in a too-small box. So I made a trip to the hardware store, then on to Lowes since the prior didn't have what I needed, then back home to fix that. Next we found several strands of lights that were too flaky to use so those went in the scrap metal bin but put up what we could. We finished the day by going out to dinner at our favorite Italian place and running some errands (including picking up more lights.) Sunday we put up the rest of the lights, then I spent the rest of the day working on cleaning out all the stuff that's gotten stuck in the basement over the last 7 years--old DirecTV boxes, VHS tapes, VCR, 1,000,000 miles of computer and AV cables, furniture, etc. Some went on Craigslist for a few bucks, one piece went to the curb free for the taking, some just got straightened up. Most of the CL stuff is gone.

I did get up early this morning and spent a couple hours in the shop before work working on gluing up panels for the desk which has to be done in 32 days. I'm taking a couple wider pieces to a friend's this evening to run through his Minimax J/P so I don't have to rip them down any further.

I am very happy to finally be able to post in this thread! There is more detail in the thread I started, but I finished this on Saturday:

Twice a year, our church does something really cool. It is called WATS day and stands for We Are The Sermon. We come to church at the normal time, but we come in work clothes, have an abbreviated service then spend the day working in the community. We worked on several widows houses, built a wheelchair ramp and several crews picked up trash around town. My particular projects were at the house where the ramp was built. Me and a buddy shored up a fence, spanned the gap from the porch to the trailer house so that she could get her wheelchair in and out, patched up the roof trim in two rooms and hauled off two piles of brush and debris that filled my 16ft trailer twice. I was exhausted by the end of the day, but it was well worth it. My favorite part of the day is pulling in to the church parking lot and seeing all the trucks and utility trailers lined up. It is quite a sight for a Sunday morning.

This week we will be heading to Missouri to be with the wife's family for Thanksgiving. This will be the first time in four years that we have been able to go. Thanksgiving was always the big holiday for her family, so she is very happy that we can go. We will also be delivering the first wagon to nephew number 1.

Started to get the turning room of my new shop set up. Got my tool racks and equipment wall hangers mounted. Put in 8 3 drawer office cabinets that will eventually be a full wall bench. Cost of the drawer units was only $20 each, and they are full extension.

Went to the Auction and picked up a couple belsaw planers for the Baldor motors. Still debating as whether to keep them or flip them.

Finished the "extreme tune-up" of my vintage Craftsman 27251 table saw. Not a restoration but complete tear-down, new arbor bearings, PALS, paint job, link-belt and T2 fence. She hums now and is dialed in to within .002.

Also started a new season coaching my son's Special Olympics bowling team.

A good weekend.
    Jim

Finally got around to mounting a new tv on a wall bracket, and running all the power/speaker/HDMI cables in the wall. No real ww'ing this weekend, but I did clean up and reorganize my workshop after using it as a storage area during basement renovations. This week I hope to start on new storage cabinets to put up above my newly located bench.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

Putting up Christmas lights. Yeah I know I am early, but this upcoming weekend is supposed to be wet, and in the 30's... I figure I can do inside work then, or maybe even luck out and be blessed with a little shop time...

I did get to work on the guest bathroom wall. I am stripping wallpaper, sanding, texturing and painting as fast as I can, not to mention taping and mudding the ceiling in the guest room...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...