Thread: Just did something uninhibiting

Just did something uninhibiting

Wow. I just took all the screws out of my Accuspray HVLP gun for the first time to see how dirty it might be inside and boy was that fun!

I've had the gun for a couple of years but was always intimidated to take it apart. Now, after having done that, I understand how it works and how best to clean it in the future. Surprisingly it was very clean inside - I had anticipated scraping old latex or softening old lacquer, but, other than a bit of oily mess in some spots from lubing, it was very clean. I've shot nitrocellulose lacquer, latex, acrylic enamel, shellac and polyurethane through it over the past couple of years and I guess I've done a good job of keeping it clean.

I don't know if ALL guns come apart the way this one does, and I won't do it very often, but it's nice to know what's inside! Hope this encourages someone else to not be afraid of the inside of their spray gun.

Ken

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I thought you were supposed to take it apart completely after each use. I've torn my Fuji gun apart so many times I've lost count. I don't use my gun that often so I was always afraid it would sit for months with some residual finish in it.

I have finally realized that spraying solvent/air after each use does the same job I did taking it apart.

I don't do a complete disassemble when I clean my gun after each use, but am finding I need to pay more attention to the flexible pressure line and one-way valve than I do since finish can get "up in there" as I move the gun around while spraying. All the other parts stay pretty good, either from hot water washing after spraying water borne or running alcohol though after spraying shellac. (The only finishes I spray)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I clean my spray guns after they are use and still miss some paint in side of the housing