Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cremation Urns

Mike Mahoney makes buriel urns, he has a video that shows you how to do it, or you could buy one. His website is http://www.bowlmakerinc.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Abate View Post
    Lee,

You might consider something with engraving on it. There are a lot of fellows here that have the ability to engrave items. I might seek their help at some point depending on my friend and what he might want when I speak to him next week. If their father was in the military you might incorporate that into it somehow. Dates of birth, dates of anniversaries things of that nature.

Hope it helps a bit.

Ben
    Thanks .... I may try to do that. Jerry Hewitt lives near me and has been lasering some stuff on some of my cutting boards. I may see if I can do a brass plate, since that would be a bit smaller and more legible than direct engraving in wood.

My friend really likes the little desk clocks that I have done, so I probably will do some variation of that for them. I got to get four of whatever out of a 6x9 x 6" tall box. I think the box was maple, so I may mix some of the really nice air dried walnut I have for an accent.

I am looking forward to it ... I would say, nothing I 'create' will top the meaning for me ...

3. I actually have made a few cremation urns. Never for a person but I have made numerous pet urns. I think in most situations there really isn't a set guideline that you need to follow and much of it is personal preference. I have had my wife line all the pet urns in a soft satin as the thought of the ashes not on something soft bothered me. I also have been investigating working with a mixture of different woods after coming across and replicating a wood urn made out of purpleheart and maple. http://www.evrmemories.com/purplehea...-p/evr5171.htm The end result was not exact but was all in all a beautiful urn. You can do a lot with adding in dentil pieces and really mixing it up. Think outside the box per se would be my best advice and really try to incorporate what appeals to the family.

I can not say about an urn for cremated human remains, but I am building an urn to replace the pine piece of junk I got back from the vet when our beloved Deacon passed on last year. An urn is really just a basic box, with an oversized base like was said above, The heavy plastic bag from the crematorium will act as the liner, however in mine, I will use spray flocking as well for additional attention to detail.

The urn I got from the vet is 9" long, x 6" wide by 5" deep. Deacon was 110lbs at the time of his passing...

The biggest issue I think is that you will want the box to be as air tight as possible, just in case the plastic bag deteriorates, you do not want ash / remains leaking out of your urn, ever. So make sure your joinery is good and tight, and seal each and every joint. Even going so far as to epoxy coat the inside of the urn would be a good way to avoid possible leakages.
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hostetler View Post
    The biggest issue I think is that you will want the box to be as air tight as possible, just in case the plastic bag deteriorates, you do not want ash / remains leaking out of your urn, ever.
    Unless you get chemicals in there, that bag will outlast your lifetime...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Hi Ben,

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. I've made several of these, and have always buried them with the ashes. One is pictured here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ject&highlight= I've found it somewhat therapuetic - I think about the person and do the best job I can as a means of showing respect. The pain doesn't go away, but does becomes less sharp over time.