Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pen Turners.....I need some help.......

Pen Turners.....I need some help.......

I have turned the normal pen forms and even sold a couple pens.

My youngest son has desires for a pen that I can't seem to find a form/style kit to meet his requests.

He like a bigger, heavier pen with a low center of gravity. In fact, he grasped a European UPSIDE DOWN...and said similar to this....

I need some ideas....styles of pens and turned form. He's a 3rd year dental student and I would like to keep it relatively formal looking.

Some ideas please!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 11-25-2010 at 10:35 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Well Ken we need abit more info. Are you looking for a one piece pen such as a Sierra, a two piece pen such as cigar style or are you looking for a capped pen such as a Baron or Jr gent??? All these are good balanced pens. When using capped pens, sometimes when you post the cap on the pen it makes it top heavy but you can eliminate that by not posting. The danger here is loosing the cap. There are times when shaping a pen barrel can distribute the weight differently. By adding bulges to the bottom half of a pen can make it feel heavier in the bottom and vice versa if you do it to the top.
    John T.

Ken when I want a little heft I go with a cambridge, a Baron, Cubano Cigar, regular cigar or a nice Sierra. All seem to do well. You will get more answers but check out Bill at Arizona Silhouette.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

+1 to what Bernie said !

John,

I really don't care if it's one piece or two. He would not like a capped pen as it is a pain to use as many times a day as he uses it.

He actually held one of the Elegant Sierras I turned for his wife and for his Mom. He liked them but........

Bernie, I'll check out that cubano cigar.

Another possibility.....what material would be heavier....wood types.....or .....acrylics.....

Please keep those ideas coming!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 03-10-2011 at 2:36 PM.
    Ken

Ken I would use a good wood if it were me. Any wood like cocobolo, bubinga, ironwood, or a nice walnut or mesquite can't hardly be beat in my books. Another thought is a great burl of some kind such as cherry. Bill has some really nice mesquite blanks. For me and a professional look I just think wood is better but that is just me.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Bernie,

Would you use a CA finish or a lacquer finish?
    Ken

Lignum Vitae or Desert ironwood will provide the heft. A CA finish is about the most durable you can come by. It takes a bit of practice to get it on just right.

If you want some heavy wood I have some IPE I can send you a few blanks if you would like to try them

Something like this? Mesquite Cigar CA finish
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Here's another option for the kit:
    http://www.pennstateind.com/store/gu...-pen-kits.html

I've not turned them, but I know they are beefy. I also like the look, and click pens are popular among medical/dental folks because they can be operated with one hand.

Stabilized woods tend to be fairly heavy across the board which allows more variety beyond the naturally dense timbers.

Here's another style that I think he might like:www.pennstateind.com/store/PKFP4000.html

One of my latest cigars. Real heft and a smart looker.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ditto on the Click

The click type pens do work well for one who uses them a lot and they aren't just lying on a desk in the meantime. I've found the Wall Street II Click pen from Woodcraft to be a good choice. (Easy to turn and assemble as well.

Good Luck

Clint

I've got some Mexican ebony I could send you if you want to try that... David