Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ruth Niles Bottlestoppers

Arizona Sillouhettes makes stainless stoppers with that kind of continuous seal. Most of the others are a chrome finish which can flake off.

I have never used the Arizona stoppers, so I can't speak to their actual sealing capability, but if I do more stoppers I intend to give them a try next to see if I like them better.

Ruth is very nice and helpful, her product is well made, but I've not been fully satisfied with the inconsistent sealing capability.

I use the one from Arizona Silhouette. The chrome one's from PSI will corrode and peel if laid down.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I've been using the stainless steel cone or droplet from http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...stoppers?Args=

for a couple years now. I only use stainless steel because they will not pit or flake off like chrome will. These sit up out of the top of the bottle like so :

I have taken product photos before with a bottle on it's side with liquid in it. They held for about 20 minutes or so before they began to leak. So I think if your intent is to have people use them to store wine on it's side for any length of time you are probably taking a risk with either design.

My major gripe with this design is at the top there is a small raised platform :

This causes the top to sit slightly higher which gives you a little space between the steel and wood. This slightly annoys me. Other than that I've never had any complaints.

I was thinking of trying Ruth Niles stoppers as I've seen many on here and another forum speak highly of them. However, after your post regarding them not fitting in a lot of bottles I may have to stick to these.

Rob, the bottles I couldn't get them to fit in, are similar size to wine bottle opening's but they aren't wine bottles so I have no direct knowledge if they fit a wine bottle. My wife and I don't drink wine so we have no bottles to test the stoppers on. I turned a couple stoppers on Wednesday of this week. If I can get my camera to take a decent picture, I'll post a new thread with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Holcomb View Post
    Rob, the bottles I couldn't get them to fit in, are similar size to wine bottle opening's but they aren't wine bottles so I have no direct knowledge if they fit a wine bottle. My wife and I don't drink wine so we have no bottles to test the stoppers on. I turned a couple stoppers on Wednesday of this week. If I can get my camera to take a decent picture, I'll post a new thread with them.
    Rob, there is no standard wine bottle opening and they can vary considerably. Of the bottles that I noted that didn't fit, all of them were wine bottles, so it is a roll of the dice. That is why I'm inclined to give the Arizona Silhouettes a try.

At one gallery showing my work, I have a wine bottle filled with water lying on its side directly over top of my pens, using one of Ruth Niles stoppers. I have NEVER lost a drop and the bottles to get switched up from time to time. One of the selling features for me is that you can lay an open bottle down in the fridge, since a lot of fridges don't have enough room to stand them up.

I bought some like that at craft supplies USA, I liked the stainless steel ones that they sell, it seemed to seal the bottle pretty well. Good luck!