Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pencil sharpeners

Pencil sharpeners

I am looking for a quality pencil sharpener. I once used an old cast hand cranked model that would put a point on like I have never seen before or since. Unfortunately I can't remember the brand. Does anyone have one in their shop that works exceptionally well?

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )

Pointed question

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Barnhart View Post
    I am looking for a quality pencil sharpener. I once used an old cast hand cranked model that would put a point on like I have never seen before or since. Unfortunately I can't remember the brand. Does anyone have one in their shop that works exceptionally well?
    Harlan:

APSCO were the ones we had in school as a kid - six holes, quarter turn to remove the shavings - Google APSCO PENCIL SHARPENER

Dave Beauchesne

I've got an old Boston pencil sharpener in my shop.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Harlan, Walmart carries the Xacto brand sharpeners like they have in schools. It's about $6-8 and does a great job. It also has a suction base so it can be put away when no needed. Thing is all plastic but has taken a good beating from my 3 year old with no issues as of yet.

I was given this as a "going to school" present when I was four years old. That makes it 62 years old. I use it everyday and don't know what I'd do without it. You can keep your plastic, guaranteed to break, electric powered pieces of junk. This one is built to last - the way things used to be built. Made by Boston (Boston Champion).

Ernie
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths."
    -Steven Wright.

After trying less expensive sharpeners, I bought the "X-Acto Ranger 55 Table or Wall-Mount Heavy-Duty Pencil Sharpener." I now have two - one in the house and one in the shop. Highly recommended. Should be able to find around $32.

Well believe it or not, I have a review on my website!

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...blepencil.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    I used to have a Boston sharpener, but left it in our California house. Those get my recommendation for a good hand crank sharpener.

For many years I have also had a DUX sharpener. It is one of the small ones with a small razor like blade. The body is brass and I bought some extra blades when the sharpener was bought. That stays in the shop. I also bought one that looks is made of cast iron (?) and uses a similar blade. It is supposedly from the late 19th - early 20th century.

Both are made in Germany and both will take a continuous shaving off of a wooden pencil until their is a perfect point.

There is also a pointer on my electric eraser and a Koh I Noor hand spin pointer in my shop for drafting pencils.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I like KUM brand handheld sharpeners so much I built one into my bench.

Darnell

I have a cast one that belonged to my Father in Law that works well. It was made by Chicago probably in the 20's.

-Jeff

Blog Entries
    I must say, I use a knife to sharpen pencils in the shop or use mechanical pencils.
    all of my important marking is done with a knife.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Surely there's someone here who's made their own sharpener out of A2, brass and Bubinga with carved wheat. Anybody?

Personally, I've mostly switched to mechanical pencils in several different size leads. I just find them more consistent, but if I had high quality pencils and a great sharpener, I might change my mind as I just really like the feel of a pencil vs a mechanical pencil.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Barnhart View Post
    I have this one from LV:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...=1,42936,42452

Not a hand-crank sharpener, but it works extremely well.

Jim

Blog Entries
    I have one of the Boston "X Acto" in the shop - really dislike it. Very frustrating in that I get all wood on one side and pecil lead on the other. It will also chew through an entire pencil in no time.

I welcome this thread and hope the information here leads me to something that's useful. Thanks to the OP for bringing it up.

You can still find the original Boston Champion on the web. Here's one selling for $16.50.
    "A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths."
    -Steven Wright.