Thread: What is your "Go To" finish for.......

What is your "Go To" finish for.......

When you do a project, what is your go to finish for the following:

Black Walnut

Cherry

H/Maple

Oak R/W

Hickory

I realize there are variables for wear, look and such, but in general, what do you reach for the most? That includes any staining and topcoats.

Every time I do a project I do up 8-10 samples of things and still can't decide.

Thanks,
    Jim

The wood does not normally detrmine my finish of choice.

The project, along with look & feel needed; and protection from normal use of item.

Color comes into play at times too.

I say NEVER try to stain cherry... dye it only if you absolutely MUST!
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

I agree with Scott...the species doesn't matter in most cases. (There are some exotics that are problematic with some finishes)

My finishing regimen is pretty much the same most of the time with 1) BLO, 2) de-waxed shellac and 3) EM6000 water borne. Occasionally, I'll skip the oil if I don't want the color shift and sometimes I will stop at the shellac, especially for decorative items. But these are the basic building blocks of "my" finish regimen.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...