Thread: Jet 1100ck Canister, Cheaply Made???

Jet 1100ck Canister, Cheaply Made???

Having assembled my christmas present and rolled it into place I immediately noticed that as the cannister is setting on 3 supports it has a tendency to rock a little. This, to me, equals shoddy design in the least. Have noticed that the Grizzly model has a solid/square pipe to connect the blower unit to the cannister unit. Seems that this would be much more stable when moving the unit from machine to machine.

Now I'm not disatisfied with this unit, as I picked it out myself. Am I being to critical. Should I try to strengthen the 3 supports Seems any additional supports to the 3 legs would interfere with the plastic bag deployment. Should I, or has any one tried to, add 4" solid pipe in place of the plastic hose.

I'll set back and see if I get any response.

Thanks

Jim-I just got a Jet DC-1200 and noticed the exact same thing. I too was surprised by the lack of a solid feel, but this is the first DC I've had and I didn't really know what to expect. I suspect it's fine as is, but I would have thought they'd use thicker gauge steel for those supports.
    -Rob

Rob,

My thoughts exactly! I suspect that they don't expect us to move the unit around but if that is the case then why the wheels??

If I/we get any other feed back I'll post here. May call or e-mail Jet and express my concerns.

Have you seen the Grizzly unit I described? It looks particularly stout in design and construction.

Jim-I see what you mean on the Grizzly 1 HP unit. The one I had actually considered was the 2 HP G1029Z unit (http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...number=G1029Z&) which looks like the same setup as our machines, but I ended up deciding on the Jet for a number of reasons. I got the version with the bags and bought a filter from Wynn (http://www.wynnenv.com/35A_series_cartridge_kit.htm) that will replace the upper bag, and clear bags to replace the lower bag. The Wynn filter is advertised as filtering down to a smaller particle size than the Jet cannister, which is why I went that route. I like your idea of contacting Jet, and will likely do the same. But I'm not hopeful since this general setup has been around for years and they haven't seen fit to change it yet. I suppose I could replace those struts with some angle irons and stiffen things up, but I doubt I will. And now I must go cut off the end of my Jet's plug and replace it with the NEMA twist style that will fit into the 220V receptacles my electrician put in. Nothing's easy (for me at least). Happy new year to all who read this.
    Rob

Rob,

Sent an e-mail to JET just this morning as they must be closed for holiday couldn't call them. We'll see what kind of reply I get and gladly post here for all to see.

Happy New Year to every one also

Jim, Pat and Codie (avatar)
    Last edited by Jim Dunn; 12-31-2004 at 3:46 PM.

Jim

I had the DC 1100CK and the three supports are just fine. Move the unit around the shop as you will, the three supports are just fine.

My complaint was dust leakage around the 6" hose from the impeller to the the mini-cyclone. You should seal it better or you'll have very fine dust all over the unit.
    Michael in San Jose
    Non confundar in aeternam

Michael,
    I probably will try mine first, but just in case, what did you use to seal it?
    Rob

Noticed the same thing with mine also. Thinking about using silicone and reassembling the unit. Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jim/Rob

What else? - Duct Tape, and then the hose over the tape.
    Michael in San Jose
    Non confundar in aeternam

We should run a pole on use of duct tape