Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I waited a long time!

I waited a long time!

But I'm finally getting my shop:

http://ilynda.com/shop/shop.htm

Any suggestions on what to sheath the inside walls with?

(gold's out... you know, the budget and all that)

I was thinking of using the white masonite on my shops walls. Since I do a lot of wet turning, it would be easier to clean, tough and you have white board everywhere.

Have you asked Jake what he would like.

I hope to do my shop walls with plywood bead board-one of these days.

Greg
    Some people seem brighter after being set on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Davey View Post
    I was thinking of using the white masonite on my shops walls. Since I do a lot of wet turning, it would be easier to clean, tough and you have white board everywhere.
    I had hardboard on my short list... hmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by greg a bender View Post
    Have you asked Jake what he would like. I hope to do my shop walls with plywood bead board-one of these days.Greg
    If I listen to Jake, I'll have to go with Nate's water resistant idea.

I used bead board plywood in my garage and had it on the short list as well.

(maybe my short list isn't so short)

Looks great, but where are the windows? Natural light, to me, is a must. Give me windows!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Edwards(2) View Post
    But I'm finally getting my shop:

http://ilynda.com/shop/shop.htm

Any suggestions on what to sheath the inside walls with?

(gold's out... you know, the budget and all that)
    Very nice bill...Getting ready to start mine as well...Not sure on what to do your walls in but whatever you decide make sure you take many pictures like you have been to give me some ideals on what mine may look like..hmmm

Plywood

Whatever you choose, it ought to be plywood. I am in my first shop to have plywood walls and ceiling; previous shops have all been sheetrock.
    Plywood is much better. Prime the sheets of plywood before you put them up, it'll make it a lot easier.
    roy griggs
    roygriggs@valornet.com

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Griggs View Post
    Whatever you choose, it ought to be plywood. I am in my first shop to have plywood walls and ceiling; previous shops have all been sheetrock.
    Plywood is much better. Prime the sheets of plywood before you put them up, it'll make it a lot easier.
    I had pretty much ruled out drywall.

I keep thinking tough, replaceable and cheap. Oh well, maybe I can sell a kidney.

(I like the priming idea)

I used OSB when I finished my garage/shop. Many people don't like the smell but after a week or two it dissipated(or I got used to it). Sucks up paint like crazy though, probably took 4 coats of white paint. How are you doing your electric? That and codes may help dictate what the walls will be, if you're running elec in wall vs surface mounted conduit it may require drywall due to codes.

Quote Originally Posted by Logan William View Post
    I used OSB when I finished my garage/shop. Many people don't like the smell but after a week or two it dissipated(or I got used to it). Sucks up paint like crazy though, probably took 4 coats of white paint. How are you doing your electric? That and codes may help dictate what the walls will be, if you're running elec in wall vs surface mounted conduit it may require drywall due to codes.
    My current plan is surface mount conduit... lights and outets.

I'd considered OSB but have a private grudge with it at the moment. (we're not on speaking terms)
    Last edited by Bill Edwards(2); 11-26-2010 at 1:45 PM.

I used 1/2" particleboard on walls and ceiling. Routed a small 1/8" chamfer on all edges and puttied in the screw holes. Nice and smooth when painted and can screw in where ever I want.

1/2 plywood here. Thick enough to screw anything in and get a good hold. Bought the 1 side sanded and it painted well.

My only comment is no insulation in the floor?

You'll love the high ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Jarvie View Post
    My only comment is no insulation in the floor?
    Actually... yes, I just didn't take any pictures.

Before you slap anything on those walls, you might want to insulate that thing... Now is so much better than later!
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Quote Originally Posted by David Hostetler View Post
    Before you slap anything on those walls, you might want to insulate that thing... Now is so much better than later!
    The floor is insulated and the walls are now (I'll add pics later).
    As soon as Christmas is out of the way, we'll start insulating the ceiling.