Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I waited a long time!

The current price of OSB- $6.47
    The current price of cheap ply- 14.79

I'd apologize to the OSB, get back on speaking terms and use the saving to buy the lighting!.

I did my shop with it with no regrets
    Last edited by Kurt Rosenzweig; 11-26-2010 at 7:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Rosenzweig View Post
    The current price of OSB- $6.47
    The current price of cheap ply- 14.79

I'd apologize to the OSB, get back on speaking terms and use the saving to buy the lighting!.
    Good point!

Another shop with OSB here. 2 to 3 coats of Kilz latex and it's good to go. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Check with your local building inspector to see what is permissible. That might just limit your choices...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Quote Originally Posted by David Hostetler View Post
    Check with your local building inspector to see what is permissible. That might just limit your choices...
    I agree with David assuming you have permits for your building. Due to the building code in my area I didn't have much of a choice. My local building code required fire sprinklers. I had a choice of copper pipe with a choice of OSB or other similar flammable material or installing drywall and PVC pipe. I opted for the drywall.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Looking good Bill. Can't wait to see pics of it finished with tools and sawdust displayed.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

I did my shop with osb walls and ceiling. then painted white. looks good to me. takes lot of paint to cover over 100 sheets of osb though.

Quote Originally Posted by eugene thomas View Post
    takes lot of paint to cover over 100 sheets of osb though.
    I'll bet!

great shop

congrats, I have a cat who inspects my work but have considered bringing a bassett on board for consult.
    CW Miller
    Whispering Wood Creations

I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
    Winston Churchill

Estimating the remainder of the construction items, I'm just under $20 a sq. ft for costs. (for a 16' x 32' building)

This does not include the internal sheathing. I guess I shouldn't have
    empasized the budget so much in my initial post.

Since my goal is to build hook and slat sytems through out, I felt I needed
    a good foundation.

I can't believe the building department let you take up that much of your backyard.

That being said......pure genious. I like it.

My garage shop has 3/4 ply on the walls half way up. If I were you that is what I would do.

Drywall the upper half of the walls and ceiling and use plywood on the walls. It will take abuse were it needs to and not cost a vast fortune.

I like the fine woodworking issue where the author used MDF and poplar to make a waiscot that he painted. It would work weel in your structure because you have that nice wood suspension floor so the MDF would be high and dry. Trouble with OSB is that no matter how many coats of paint you put on it will still look like OSB.

You said you were going to surface mount conduit for electrical which is nice because it can change easily. If you keep the majority of it mounted to the drywall portion of your walls then the holes are easily patched.

I like the steel roof. what kind of siding do you have planned?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carpenter View Post
    I can't believe the building department let you take up that much of your backyard.
    I know this may seem like bravado, but the city where I live has too many
    really bad things going on to site me for anything.

i.e. 100 yards from my house the people had a 10 x 20 quicky barn brought in... it has a 5' propane tank by the front door and a dish on the back wall..... yep his kids and their kids live in it... year round.

Realizing they used up their storage, they bought another 10' x 12' barn and have less yard then me.

I have a list.

Great looking barn... what is the size?... tks ART

I started with white pegboard walls and grew to hate it. The pegboard collects dusts and was not as useful as I had hoped. Swapped it all out for unfinished beadboard and love it. Add some french cleats with extended spacers and they could fit over your electrical conduit.

Sheetrock probably looks better, especially on new, flat walls, but bead board went up faster on my unsquare walls.

If you plan to store lumber on the walls, you might want to sister the studs that support the lumber weight.

Quote Originally Posted by David Giles View Post
    If you plan to store lumber on the walls, you might want to sister the studs that support the lumber weight.
    I wasn't too worried about that since it is a modified pole barn type construction ( I guess that's what Art was getting at) and there are 4x4's about every 8 feet.

Peg board was on my long short list, I'm glad you said something.

Someone in this thread suggested mixxing materials on the inside and truthfully, I have no idea why that hadn't ocurred to me.

Maybe I could do the walls in something higher priced and the ceiling cheaper.