Thread: Tiny little bugs on my deck/siding

Tiny little bugs on my deck/siding

Here's something new. Right where my deck meets my siding (two corners) I have all these teeny tiny little bugs. They look like the head of a pin. On interesting characteristic is as soon as I get close to them, they start hopping and jumping around. Very strange.

What the heck are these things? Do I need to call in an exterminator, or are they harmless and can I just hose them off or use some Raid or something?

Oh my god, it's Deck Bugs

The outdoor cousin of bed bugs... Sorry John, I couldn't resist since all the real and tragic hoopla of cities hit with bedbugs. Take a picture or two that show them with some color and detail, then contact a decent exterminator or other pest pro to see what you've got. I'm surprised you haven't had enough cold to kill them off with the first hard frosts of the season.

Sounds like fleas, but they are usually dead by now outside in cold climates.

What color are they? Leafhoppers do that and can be green or white or multi-colored.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

They're brownish color. They seem to disappear at night. I've never seen anything like it. They're all just hanging out on my siding and the deck. Very strange. I don't think they're fleas. I have a feeling they're hanging out behind the siding where it's a little bit warmer.

Funny thing is, I just noticed them now that it's gotten cold.

spiders hop around too

Your house has been unfaithful and got the VD!

If they are fleas, they will be very hard to squash. Fleas have a narrow flat body. You have to roll them between your fingers to squash them. Most other bugs are much softer.

It may be possible that a flea infested animal spent the night under your deck and left behind many eggs. I used to have an open sided barn that the deer spent a lot of time in. It would have thousands of fleas during the summer, but like Joe says they usually hide during the winter.

Steve