Thread: $200.00 Bandsaw Blade? Worth it?

$200.00 Bandsaw Blade? Worth it?

I have already searched the site. But I would like any suggestions regarding bandsaw blades. The Schwartz recommends a 3/8" Lennox Trimaster. I have been using a WoodSlicer 1/2" on my Grizzly G0555X 14" with 6" riser. I liked it fine at first, lately it has been drifting something fierce! Based on prior threads it is dull and it dulls quickly.

So is the Trimaster that good? 200.00 good? I need a blade for ripping and small dimensioning that I do not do on the table saw and for some resawing. I am not opposed to buying multiple blades, but I usually just leave one blade on for most work. I don't do a lot of detail work, but I may in the future if I buy multiple blades.

What do you guys think?

I have a Laguna 16" HD saw and have gone through a number of woodslicer blades and usually had a 3/4" on the saw. I can't say I've been very happy with them. I bought a 1" Trimaster about 3 months ago and have been very happy. The resaw at 8" is fairly clean and a lot less "effort" than ther wood slicer. I also bought a 1 1/2" bimetal which cuts very quickly but leaves a very rough surface. I suspect I will stay with the carbide blades.

I'm a huge fan of Trimasters but am not sure you will get full value with your saw. Even the 3/8 requires tension that may be more than the saw can maintain. I don't have experience with that saw so others may verify but $200 seems high. Have you checked www.industrialblades.com? Dave

I have gotten carbide blades from Laguna and made out great. They were a lot less than $200. Give them a call and see what kind of deal they'll make.

I have a Tri-Master which is actually over a year old on a 24" saw.. I use it quite a bit .. Resawed 2x12 Hardwood the other night, still going strong.. Also have a Laguna Carbide blade in a box.. I have used it .. its much the same..

The Carbide blades seem to last forever.. I suspect they dull so slowly that it sneaks up on us .. but I would not hesitate to spend $200 on another.. They are cheaper IMO when compared to how many non-carbide blades they replace ..

On the brand, I would buy either the Laguna or the Lennox..

Also, $200 seems steep.. I paid about $225 for my Tri-Master and its about 177" long x 1" ..

Great blade but not for that saw, it is really thick for a 14" wheel and requires a LOT of tension to work like it should. Get an Olson MVP Bi-metal blade .025" gauge so you can get the tension up and it will be the perfect 3/8" blade. Around $30 for a 93 1/2" blade and will outlast a carbon blade 8 or more times.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I don't think your wheels are large enough for that blade. You may develop cracking of the blade beam.
    I have one of those blades on my 24" Grizzly, and have used it also on my 24" Mini-Max, and I've resawed thousands of boards with it, for over 4 years...and I still think it rocks.

I am probably the least knowledgeable guy in this conversation, but I can throw in my personal experience.

I had a Trimaster 1/2" on my Delta 14", with riser block. I did not have a problem tensioning it to what - to me anyway - seemed to work great. Resawed up to 8" white oak [slowly, to be sure, but still did fine at 1/8" - 5/32"].

I rarely do small curvy stuff, so I ended up with the Trimaster on the saw for over a year. When it died a few weeks ago, I put on the Olson MVP Bi-metal.

I can tell you that the smoothness of the Trimaster cut is in a completely different league, IMO. I switched most of my tenon cheeks to the BS, after cutting shoulders on the TS. At most, a very light swipe with a fine rasp or a face float - usually did nothing.

I can also tell you that I was able to get my hands on that Trimaster through an unconventional avenue, at a terrific price. I am trying to get another that same way . In the meantime, I'll be using the Olson, of course, and see how that works. The difference in the cut likely appears more dramatic because of the switch - If I didn't know better, I wouldn't know better.

When the Olson goes, then I'll decide if a retail-price Trimaster is a reasonable expenditure. As it stands today, I would be willing to buy one, after swallowing very hard, of course. But - I need to ride the Olson for a while yet to see how it works for me, and to see if the Trimaster cut quality fades from memory....................
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.